Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminium Spray Can and Oil Container Shelf

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium Spray Can and Oil Container Shelf

Every time I rummage over my shelves looking for just the right thing I always bump a spray can sending it crashing down. I usually fire off a few naughty words, pick it up and gently place it back on the shelf where it awaits the next search. Its a bit like resetting a mouse trap.

Well today I fabricated a better mouse trap.

I marked up some ali sheet and cut it to size.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jigantor; 10-02-2010, 06:10 AM.

It took me a while to work out how big I could make the shelf. This time was spent studying my folder and measuring all the components that limit the size a pan can be bent in it.
    Once I knew how I could do it I had to follow a fold by fold plan.
    Looks simple but took some time to work it out.
    I have never been shown how to use a folder I just purchased one and started bending.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

If it has all gone well you should end up with an open sided pan.
      This looks great with all the legs lining up and all angles at 90 degs.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

Clamp the sides together and TIG weld.
        I use an ali angle to keep the sides true and to remove excess heat so the thin sheet welds rather than melting away.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

I used a square ali rod as a kicker.
          Drill and tap a thread.
          Fit to shelf and screw to wall.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

Time for a test.
            Looks great and works even better.
            I have disarmed the mouse trap.
            Very pleased with the outcome.

Ji
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey jig,
              Nice job & sure makes storage handy. I made a similar one for my mobile unit to store all my accessories, only I made a front wall to keep everything from falling out. I used alum. also & made it a full width length(5') on the front wall of the trailer, 6" high X 6" deep. Not in the pic is the smaller spray can holder, like yours, I made & mounted just below the large one. You can see the large one on the pic on the front wall. Easy project.... works superb.

Denny
              Attached Files

Comment

very nice jigantor. I have the same predicament. Do you have any pics of your shop? You seem to make something for everything in the shop and put it in its place, must look pretty organized and neat.

Comment

Hi Denny,
                  The reason I did not fold up a front on my shelf is because this shelf will be holding oil sprays and oil containers which after use are placed back on the shelf. I try my best to wipe any oil that has oozed down the side of the container during use but I find the shelf always has a puddle of oil on it after a while that requires cleaning and here lies the benefit. To clean an open shelf is easy just remove the containers and wipe with a paper towel with your hand between the kicker and the floor.

Also an open shelf looks cooooool.

Your mobile looks very neat and organised just what I would expect from someone that was chosen to compete in the challenge. Love your work mate.

Ji

Comment

Hi Jrs,
                    Thanks for the kind words.
                    My work shop is so small I have to use every square inch efficiently otherwise I will not be able to get through the door.

Attached images are of the 3mm or 1/8" thick ali bench top and splash backs I installed on Monday in my workshop.

Ji
                    Attached Files

Comment

very clean nice.

Comment

Hi Jrs,
                        Thanks.
                        You could eat your dinner off the bench.

Ji

Comment

Very neat, Cant have to many storage shelves

Comment

Hi HMW,
                            I agree "Too Many Shelves Are Never Enough"

Ji

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.