Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disfigured solid brass coffee table...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disfigured solid brass coffee table...

Hey guys,
    Here's a repair that came in this week. The lady was given this solid brass coffee table w/smoked glass from a friend. It got damaged in transit & her nephew thought he could fix it......duuuuhhhh. I saw this piece earlier in the summer when she took some furniture to my neighbors' furniture resto shop & asked if it could be fixed & "how much". My neighbor called me over to look at it & I gave her a rough quote......yup....the usual: "WHAT? HOW MUCH?".

Anyway, as it seems, this lady had friends to her home & one saw it & told her it was quite valuable & a shame it was in the condition it was. The lady found out it was worth over $500 & if fixed, probably more. She brought it in to my shop & I explained what had to be done & I only would do it the proper way or nothing. She said ok....fix it.

I had to re-melt the (2) welded joints w/O/A, looked to be stick welded, & separate. Then I straightened the entire lower assembly, prepped the joints with a small carbide grinder to have nice clean joints, & started doing each joint. I decided that silver-solder(60/40) would work well & the color would match nicely. When I finished, I carefully re-contoured all the joints to the original look & lightly sanded with 240 grit to smoothen & semi-polish. It came out quite nice & the lady was very happy. Here's some pics.

Denny
    Attached Files

Great repair. Always hard to understand why the customer complains about the cost and as it is, it is usually worthless unless it is fixed. Keep up the good work

Comment

Very nice! Ain't everybody could do that...

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.