Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

a tobbogan

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a tobbogan

This is my first real welding project. A couple years back I purchased a MIG with the intention to take an evening course on welding. Never did take the course and taught myself. Please do not critic the welding

I hunt from September until December in a very swampy area and end the season in snow where a trailer does not cut it behind the 4wheeler. I had and old heating oil tank and with some square and round tubing and some thinking this is what it came out like!

I cut the tank in an "L"shape welded it together to form the basic form. I caped the front and back with a steel skirt I took from an old hot water tank the square tubing was used to make the side more rigid while providing height for furure load. I built the pull bar from round tubing. Inside the bar I included a spring system to take away the jerking when riding, the ball coupler also turns 360 degrees to avoid tork when the tobogan is not on the same plane as the 4wheeler.

Last edited by Mikka; 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM.

Its not structural so I wont say anything about the welds...haha. But your creativity and hard work have paid off. Great project! Wonderful job!

Comment

LMAO!!! What does that beast weight?

Comment

I love the thinking behind this. I think it's great.

Keep in mind that anyone can learn to weld, thinking, that's another thing all together.

Comment

Yes, that L-shape cut is ingeneous. I can't quite tell; do you have runners on the bottom? You'd hate for that to get sideways on a slope and pull you into the swamp.

Comment

Originally posted by wroughtnharv View Post
            I love the thinking behind this. I think it's great.

Keep in mind that anyone can learn to weld, thinking, that's another thing all together.
            Very true.

Comment

you might wanna make those runners outta some hard plate..... something tells me with weight and all involved, it wont take it long to wear a hole right through that dilly..... other than that, nice job thinking (wont critique welds)

Comment

Actually, it is not that heavy at all. The tank was not very heavy to start with, add the weight of the tubing and I don't think it much more than 150 lbs. I did use three cheap "T bar" also known around here as snow fence posts as skids, My ATV doesn't even feel it. It will carry corn through the swamp during hunting season and once it freezes, it will carry lots od heating wood.

Comment

Looks plenty stout! Nice job.

Comment

Finally got around to put the final touch on the toboggan:

Last edited by Mikka; 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

BMW.....

Very nice!

Comment

Being a Canadian, I feel I have to reply to this thread. A Toboggan is a sled used by kids to sled down hills. This is a sled or sleigh. While I'd love to try running this thing down a toboggan hill, I certainly wouldn't want to pull it back up the hill.

Otherwise, great job on the design & manufacture!

Comment

Originally posted by jasonspoon View Post
                          Being a Canadian, I feel I have to reply to this thread. A Toboggan is a sled used by kids to sled down hills. This is a sled or sleigh. While I'd love to try running this thing down a toboggan hill, I certainly wouldn't want to pull it back up the hill.

Otherwise, great job on the design & manufacture!
                          I don't know about out West, but in my part of our country, a tobogan is something that has no "skates/runners" to slide on. It is meant to glide on it's bottom instead. Funny enough, goole image seems to agree with me. Just do a search on toboggan and sleigh... big difference...

This is meant to be pulled behind a 4wheeler over swamps and packed snow.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.