Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage stuffer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sausage stuffer

    There seems to be lots of BBQ projects on here, I was wondering if any one has built a sausage stuffer or have any ideas on how to biuld one. I was thinking about an air operated one with an air cylender. Does any one have any input as to if it would work.
    Last edited by Stomper; 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM.

  • #2
    I've never seen a sausage stuffer. My recommendation would be to visit a meat processor and ask if they'd show you their sausage stuffing operation. You could see how it's done, what they're using and then go home and devise your own design to suit your needs. That's how I'd do it anyway.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

    Colt the original point & click interface!

    Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

    03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a good Idea on what I want to build. I guess I should have explained myself a bit better, sorry about that. What I was wondering is if it would work to use compressed air with a air cylender to drive the plunger to push the sausage meat out into the casings. I will be using a peice of 6" schedule 10, 316 stainless steel pipe 14" long. The plunger will be made of a peice of 1" thick HDPE plastic. It will be machined to fit inside the 6" and a groove will be machined into it so that I can install a rubber O ring. This is the peice that I want to drive with the compressed air. It will have to move fairly slow and I was unsure if it will move smoothly. Being that the air is compressible it would not have the same effect as something non compressible, ex: hudraulic fluid. It will have a three way valve and an air regulator for control.
      Do you think this will work?

      Comment


      • #4
        sausage stuffer

        Stomper,

        I have seen sausage stuffers in sporting goods catalogs.
        Some use a ram and linkage like an oversized garlic press and others use a gear drive mechanism to provide the force.

        I am no expert but I did a quick calculation of the area of your 6" IPS sch 10 pipe and compared it to theoretical 1", 1.5", 2" ID sausage.

        6" IPS sch 10 pipe is 6.357" ID.
        Area of pipe ID is 31.73 sq in.

        1" sausage is .785 sq in

        1.5" sausage is 1.76 sq in.

        2" sausage is 3.14 sq in.


        Comparing equivalent volumes,

        1" of travel of your 6" IPS ram will give you:

        40.4" of 1" sausage

        17.9" of 1.5" sausage

        10.1" of 2" sausage.

        Get lots of casings!


        This is simply a calculation based on volumes.

        Greatly simplified, your stuffer is a large version of a caulking gun, but I have no idea of the pressures involved as this is most likely a topic for fluid mechanic experts.

        I would consider how to streamline the flow path to minimize drag on the sausage mixture.

        Maybe a cone shaped end for the ram and the cylinder like the toothpaste tube.

        Good luck - please post photos as well as your recipe.
        Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

        Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool, thanks for the info. When you put it like that it will be alot of sausage. When I make sausage, deer, moose or elk, I usualy make a 5 gallon pail 3/4 full of the stuff. the biggest part of it, is stuffing it, so if this works it will take alot of the work out of it. The other idea that I had was to just make it a screw type operated stuffer, but thats not that cool. I want to p*mp it out a bit. Stream lining it would be a good idea. Thanks again for the info.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was talking to a guy on another site and he suggested setting the air pressure just enough to push the sausage mixture and restict the exhaust instead of the supply to give a smooth steady flow. Makes better scence to me.

            Comment


            • #7
              little more work than air, but still works great

              every year for deer season my family generally gets around 12 deer, and we do all the processing ourselves. when we make summer sausage we genrally have over 300 lbs of meat to mix and stuff. then we have to smoke and cure it. but that doesnt take much, we have a 10x10 garden shed we made into a smokehouse and takes about 6-8 hours to smoke all of it at once.

              a few years back my brother built a stuffer out of 8 inch cylinder casing. basically the stuffer is about 14 inches long with a tapped 2 inch hole on the bottom plate. we use pvc fittings for it, and have an 1 1/2" tube and a 3/4" tube. one for summer sausage and one for polish rings. but the frame for it is made out of 1" square tubing. the pusher is made out of a 3K pound trailer jack with an 8" dia. plate welded on the bottom of the jack. we use pieces of old t shirts for a gasket type thing between the meat and the pressure plate.

              the only thing left is to either build or buy a mixer, which i plan on makin out of all stainless with aluminum bronze bushings so they dont ever wear out.( in my lifetime anyway)

              i really wish i had a pic of it because that would help alot with the explanation of what he did for it, but i do not currently have one. if you have a question or something let me know and i will try to elaborate on it a little more.
              Last edited by welderdude402; 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM. Reason: addition of some details
              sigpic
              Miller Trailblazer 302
              Smith Torch Outfit
              Lots of Grinders
              Miller Elite Autodark Hood
              O'l Trusty Jackson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                every year for deer season my family generally gets around 12 deer, and we do all the processing ourselves. when we make summer sausage we genrally have over 300 lbs of meat to mix and stuff. then we have to smoke and cure it. but that doesnt take much, we have a 10x10 garden shed we made into a smokehouse and takes about 6-8 hours to smoke all of it at once.

                a few years back my brother built a stuffer out of 8 inch cylinder casing. basically the stuffer is about 14 inches long with a tapped 2 inch hole on the bottom plate. we use pvc fittings for it, and have an 1 1/2" tube and a 3/4" tube. one for summer sausage and one for polish rings. but the frame for it is made out of 1" square tubing. the pusher is made out of a 3K pound trailer jack with an 8" dia. plate welded on the bottom of the jack. we use pieces of old t shirts for a gasket type thing between the meat and the pressure plate.

                the only thing left is to either build or buy a mixer, which i plan on makin out of all stainless with aluminum bronze bushings so they dont ever wear out.( in my lifetime anyway)

                i really wish i had a pic of it because that would help alot with the explanation of what he did for it, but i do not currently have one. if you have a question or something let me know and i will try to elaborate on it a little more.
                The trailer jack idea is a prety ingenious idea if the right one was used. I may have to rethink my plans AGAIN
                If you could get a picture that would be great. 300# of meat, WOW you guys don't screw around

                Comment


                • #9
                  The more I think about the trailer jack the more I like it. It's simple and effective. I will use it. Thanks for the help. guys I learned alot with your ideas.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Would something like this work?

                    Dunno how fast they move the ram

                    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-l...ack-94562.html
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      Would something like this work?

                      Dunno how fast they move the ram

                      http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-l...ack-94562.html
                      They would move it a bit fast. I have the exact one on my tubing bender. It would make it a **** heavy unit though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        h2o sausage stuffer

                        try this site for a stuffer using water
                        http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76875

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wow that works prety slick. Thanks for the link.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            sorry i dont have a picture of it. it is down at my dads place...and i dont know when i will get there next.
                            yeah, we dont mess around lol. we have walk in cooler/freezer thats about 6x10x10 that we can hang about 6 deer in or three elk or cows in and a complete butcher room with all the fixins. nice meat grinder that does i think 500 lbs/hour. you can put entire chicken quarters down the throat of that thing and it doesnt even change the sound of the motor.
                            sorry to start going on about the stuff we have for butchering. anyway, whenever i am down there again, i will try to remember to get a picture of it....which should be fairly soon..bow season is already 9 days in and i gotta get my ol' monster out of the case and get some monsters hangin in the cooler lol.
                            sigpic
                            Miller Trailblazer 302
                            Smith Torch Outfit
                            Lots of Grinders
                            Miller Elite Autodark Hood
                            O'l Trusty Jackson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                              sorry i dont have a picture of it. it is down at my dads place...and i dont know when i will get there next.
                              yeah, we dont mess around lol. we have walk in cooler/freezer thats about 6x10x10 that we can hang about 6 deer in or three elk or cows in and a complete butcher room with all the fixins. nice meat grinder that does i think 500 lbs/hour. you can put entire chicken quarters down the throat of that thing and it doesnt even change the sound of the motor.
                              sorry to start going on about the stuff we have for butchering. anyway, whenever i am down there again, i will try to remember to get a picture of it....which should be fairly soon..bow season is already 9 days in and i gotta get my ol' monster out of the case and get some monsters hangin in the cooler lol.
                              Good luck with the hunt. It's moose season here but I'm way too busy to go. Thats ok though I still have half of my freezer full of last years moose. Hoping to get home for archery deer soon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X