Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making oil breather puke tank and tool modification

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making oil breather puke tank and tool modification

Don't ya just love it when a plan falls apart. Man, crazy s&&t. Anyway, I have been asked to make a puke/oil breather tank like mine on my Nordic Jet Boat. The weird thing is this person has the same make boat.

Ok, nuff, BS. Found some nice 6061 tube and made a drawing from mine on my boat. While I was fishmouthing the breather upright tubes on my Bridgeport milling machine the hole saw adapter broke when a tooth caught. Great, now I pull out the tube notcher I never used because I just use the mill for fishmouthing. ****, the threads are different on the shaft for my cheapie hole saws. I know, I will adapt the broken part to the shaft. My lathe does not have threading capabilities otherwise I would have threaded the tube notcher shaft. Sooooo, I made the hole saw adapter fit the tubenotcher shaft. It made it a little long but some angle and good to go.
    T.J.

More Pics.

Comment

Ok more pics. I don't use -10AN specific weld in bungs because they do not have a deep enough reach on the backside, because that is where I weld these on, the back. I turn down the NPT side and soak them in oven cleaner to remove the blue anodizing.
      Also notice the angle welded on the inside of the end plates. They are my baffles. I have them oriented vertically so when the oil hits the angle it drops out of the flow and into the bottom of the tank. I have to also weld a drain in this one. As you can also see, it is all about Jigging this right to get a good weld.
      T.J.

Comment

More

Comment

More

Comment

Nice job! I have a love / hate relationship with the jobs where 1 project turns into 3 to get it done. Looks like it didn't slow you down much though.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.