Questions about trailer construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about trailer construction

I am working on a small aluminum trailer. I am starting to double think the material size its only going to ever have like 700 pounds. I attached a drawing and materials list please help me out. Thank you so much

Click image for larger version

Name:	small al trailer .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	528704

Tung for trailer

I would make the tung out of Retangle tubing 1 1/2 x 3 by 3/16 long ways for 2x2 by 1/8 Alum. I would not make it any less if anything, Little thicker wall on everything. But hey thats me 2 cents lol
    Vernon
    Last edited by Vernon; 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Ditto on that for sure. That is even too light for STEEL!!
      Is this a trailer you are gonna pull around behind a garden tractor, or behind a car on the highway??

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

it is for the highway i was thinking it was to light but i want to make is as light as possible. Its for behind my Mini Cooper so weight is an issue it will mainly be used to hall a tool box or a few sheets of ply wood and some two by fours. i would make it out of steel but im sick of dealing with paint and rust. as my friend has with his trailer.

Comment

So i updated the bill of materials with changing some thicknesses. i have a rubber torsion axel rated for 2000lb that gets placed centered on the two plates. I plan on half inch ply wood for the floor maybe eventually upgrade to tread plate. please give you opinion cuz im trying to go the least that i can but i dont want a weak trailer. thankyou

Click image for larger version

Name:	small al trailer update.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	508704

Comment

Your new BOM is safer for all.

As far as the floor is concerned, stick to the plywood. Wood has a better resistance to slipping, you know the stuff you put into the trailer won't walk about.
            Looks like you have enough support under the wood to keep the heavy stuff from falling though. Since you have a rating of 2000lbs I think it all looks good.

Enjoy your trailer.
            Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
            22A Feeder
            MM175
            Dynasty 200DX
            TB302
            12vs Extreme
            Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
            20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
            16" x 60" engine lathe
            65 Ton edwards iron worker
            3/16' x 24" power slip roll
            16' power feed mitering bandsaw
            and other fun toys

Comment

thats trailer tongue need to be plated or ribbed to reinforce it ive used raw aluminum trailers for highway before it either needs to t6 or have 1/4 to 3/8 plates to resist bending and stretching

also for the weight s would want it might be better to go how you fame floors with 2x4 vertical to hold stronger but make it out of 2x4 aluminum box tube

other than that itll be a great little trailer make a mini headache rack for 2x4s or pipe that longer than the trailer

next project trailer hitch mount for mini cooper
              Leblond Makino mills
              HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
              American Pacemaker lathe
              wells index mill
              hydrotel rebuilt
              syncrowave 250
              diversion 165
              Miller Elite Vintage USA

Comment

Originally posted by cncmachinist View Post
                thats trailer tongue need to be plated or ribbed to reinforce it ive used raw aluminum trailers for highway before it either needs to t6 or have 1/4 to 3/8 plates to resist bending and stretching

also for the weight s would want it might be better to go how you fame floors with 2x4 vertical to hold stronger but make it out of 2x4 aluminum box tube

other than that itll be a great little trailer make a mini headache rack for 2x4s or pipe that longer than the trailer

next project trailer hitch mount for mini cooper
                Thanks you for the post.

Comment

Working...
                X