is there a 1'' hole saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a 1'' hole saw

I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken

Every company that makes hole saws makes a 1" hole saw. You can buy themjust about anywhere, home depot for example.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Comment

http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Prod...imetalHolesaws
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by eschuen View Post
        I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken
        You can surely get a 1" hole saw, but I doubt you would get a "perfect" hole with one. Maybe you are better off drilling with the 7/8" one and file fitting the rest.
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Homemade Water Cooler
        130XP MIG
        Spectrum 375
        60 year old Logan Lathe
        Select Machine and Tool Mill
        More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

You can even get a 25mm metric which would be a couple hundredths under in a perfect world. But like has already been mentioned, no hardware store hole saw is going to give you anything close to "perfect" if perfect is really necessary.

Comment

Probably more expense than you would be willing to spend but have you looked at the Hougen or Blair cutters? Very clean and efficient cutters for nice round holes.

Comment

If it needs to be a perfect 1"hole bring it to a machine shop and have it milled undersized and reamed to 1".
              Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
              and wp2025 weldcraft torch
              Miller 125c plasma cutter

Comment

Dumb question here? Your hole size equals the tubing diameter your drilling through. So in essence you’re cutting the tubing for a fish mouth for another tube to pass through. If this is the case I use the holesaw of the same diameter as the tubing. It’s a good fit up may not be perfect but it works. I have used this for years for horse corrals.

Comment

Heck, I have a 6 inch whole saw.

Comment

I don't know if this would be helpful, but when I wanted a perfect hole that was just a tiny bit under the diameter of a standard hole saw size, I ground down the "set" of the teeth by mounting a Dremel tool in a lathe tool post (with pipe straps) and running the hole saw in the chuck. The ground hole saw also made a cleaner hole than the original would have. Of course this won't work for all size holes.

Comment

And just a reminder, that all hole saws have different mounting systems. I must have 6 different brands due to not being able to get the proper size when needed. So if its not the brand you own buy a mandrel while getting the saw part. The Lenox brand are bad right out of the package.
                      glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Have you considered a slugger bit?

Comment

I am a fan of holesaws but these come in handy as well:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockou...kit-91201.html

I also love step bits.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Titanium.../dp/B000FZ2UOY
                          Import FanatiX Car Club (My Family) www.ifxcc.com

MM135
                          MM350P
                          DYN200DX
                          Big Window Black
                          Contractor Kit
                          Lots of questions.............................

Comment

what equipment do you have drill press, mill, lathe, mag drill??
                            File Rock.
                            I would set it in my fadal mill program and let it rip
                            In the field i would clamp it in my vice on the back of my truck.
                            set up my mag drill rough it with a 3/4 em then finish it with a 1/2 in boring bar mounted in a boring head and finish.

Good luck

Comment

I dont know about all your hole saws, but i have several brands too. And none of them cut that great a hole. Funny, they all seem to "wobble" some. Good at cutting a rough hole but not if has to be perfect. But i'd beat on a go cart frame, its probably good, or do like someone else said and cut a smaller hole and file away..
                              Last edited by HMW; 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM. Reason: spelling
                              Scott
                              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Working...
                              X