Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a 1'' hole saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a 1'' hole saw

I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken

Every company that makes hole saws makes a 1" hole saw. You can buy themjust about anywhere, home depot for example.

Comment

http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Prod...imetalHolesaws

Comment

Originally posted by eschuen View Post
        I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken
        You can surely get a 1" hole saw, but I doubt you would get a "perfect" hole with one. Maybe you are better off drilling with the 7/8" one and file fitting the rest.

Comment

You can even get a 25mm metric which would be a couple hundredths under in a perfect world. But like has already been mentioned, no hardware store hole saw is going to give you anything close to "perfect" if perfect is really necessary.

Comment

Probably more expense than you would be willing to spend but have you looked at the Hougen or Blair cutters? Very clean and efficient cutters for nice round holes.

Comment

If it needs to be a perfect 1"hole bring it to a machine shop and have it milled undersized and reamed to 1".

Comment

Dumb question here? Your hole size equals the tubing diameter your drilling through. So in essence youíre cutting the tubing for a fish mouth for another tube to pass through. If this is the case I use the holesaw of the same diameter as the tubing. Itís a good fit up may not be perfect but it works. I have used this for years for horse corrals.

Comment

Heck, I have a 6 inch whole saw.

Comment

I don't know if this would be helpful, but when I wanted a perfect hole that was just a tiny bit under the diameter of a standard hole saw size, I ground down the "set" of the teeth by mounting a Dremel tool in a lathe tool post (with pipe straps) and running the hole saw in the chuck. The ground hole saw also made a cleaner hole than the original would have. Of course this won't work for all size holes.

Comment

And just a reminder, that all hole saws have different mounting systems. I must have 6 different brands due to not being able to get the proper size when needed. So if its not the brand you own buy a mandrel while getting the saw part. The Lenox brand are bad right out of the package.

Comment

Have you considered a slugger bit?

Comment

I am a fan of holesaws but these come in handy as well:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockou...kit-91201.html

I also love step bits.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Titanium.../dp/B000FZ2UOY

Comment

what equipment do you have drill press, mill, lathe, mag drill??
                            File Rock.
                            I would set it in my fadal mill program and let it rip
                            In the field i would clamp it in my vice on the back of my truck.
                            set up my mag drill rough it with a 3/4 em then finish it with a 1/2 in boring bar mounted in a boring head and finish.

Good luck

Comment

I dont know about all your hole saws, but i have several brands too. And none of them cut that great a hole. Funny, they all seem to "wobble" some. Good at cutting a rough hole but not if has to be perfect. But i'd beat on a go cart frame, its probably good, or do like someone else said and cut a smaller hole and file away..
                              Last edited by HMW; 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.