Alumimiun Welder Trolley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I TIG welded the shelves.
    The shelves are 1.4mm or less than 1/16" thick ali tread plate.
    To weld this I clamp an ali angle to the inside of the corner. This will act like a heat sink and give a little more time before melt down occurs.

Tread plate is hard to weld your first time because of the raised diamonds. You start welding on thin material and before long you are welding thicker material then back down to thin.
    You have to work your current adjustment between thicknesses via a foot peddle or hand control.

Just so those that have never welded thin ali plate before the weld has to be small otherwise you will get melt down, and that is why I have added an image of the bead with a match head for scale.
    Watch out Microfusion my welds are getting smaller.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Don't get attached to your welds because the next step is to grind all the side welds down on the tube frames.

Ji
      Attached Files
      Grip it and Rip it

Comment

I then used a cordless drill and some self drilling tech screws to fix the shelves to the tube frame.

Ji
        Attached Files
        Grip it and Rip it

Comment

I then attached the casters to the lower tube frame.
          My welder only weighs 35kilos or 70 pounds so what I have done here will work fine. If your welder is heavier you should make a complete square tube frame.

Ji
          Attached Files
          Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Time to see how she looks.
            The trolley looks great and all four casters are sitting on the floor.
            If you only require a minimal trolley, job done.
            You may want to screw a handle to the front.
            My welder just sits under the bench, the only time it will be moved is to check the gas line in the rear.

Pretty pleased with the result so far, but there is still more I have to do to complete the trolley.

Ji
            Attached Files
            Grip it and Rip it

Comment

I don't like the skeleton design so I decided to sheet my trolley in using aluminium tread plate.
              Typical fabrication;
              Clamp, mark and fold.

Ji
              Attached Files
              Grip it and Rip it

Comment

When the side cover was completely folded I then clamped it and screwed it to the tube frame. Remove all burrs and round all corners.

Ji
                Attached Files
                Grip it and Rip it

Comment

The next issue is to fold up some channels to cover the top of the tube frame.
                  This should protect it and add to the look of the whole project.
                  I bent them a little past 90 degs so they will hold on without fixtures.

Ji
                  Attached Files
                  Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Remove all burrs and round all the corners. Then slip the channels on over the top of the tube frame.
                    I made the channel legs long enough so you can not see the screws.

Ji
                    Attached Files
                    Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Time for a test fit.
                      The welder fits in nice.
                      I will fit some handles to the front so to give something to grab when I need to wheel it out from under my bench.

Pretty pleased with the result.
                      It looks great, works well, is neat and gets my welder off the floor.
                      Form and function via fabrication

Ji
                      Attached Files
                      Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Working...
                      X