Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alumimiun Welder Trolley

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alumimiun Welder Trolley

At present my TIG welder is on the floor of my welding bay.
    I really need to get it up onto a trolley where I can move it about a bit easier.
    On Friday I picked up my precut order from the local ali dealer ready to start my latest project a welder trolley.

Ji
    Attached Files

I measured the welder and drew a quick hand sketch. I then took a trip to a hardware and picked up some castors.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

With an air hacksaw I cut out the corners.
      This will allow me to bend the corners to a 90 deg angle before welding.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

By cutting and bending this way you get a nice rounded corner.
        Don't worry about spending to much time smoothing the cut as it is going to be welded anyway.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

Using a 90 deg welding clamp TIG weld the connecting corner.
          Now that it is a square frame do any required straightening adjustments.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

I did not forget to S/S wire brush the metal nor did I forget to wipe the area down with a acetone damp rag.

Ji
            Attached Files

Comment

I then cut out the wedge shapes from the corner positions and welded another tube frame.

Ji
              Attached Files

Comment

Next I cut the corners out of the tread plate ready for folding.

Ji
                Attached Files

Comment

Using a folder I folded the tread plate into a pan.
                  I did two of these, one will be the bottom shelf and the other will be the pan the welder sits in.

If you don't have a folder or access to one just weld the sides on, it just means more TIG welding.

Ji
                  Attached Files

Comment

At this stage I have two tube frames and two shelves.
                    I will need to weld all the joints and seams up but at this stage we can continue to test fit see if any adjustments are required for squareness.

Ji
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is great and very informative, but does anyone know a way that these sorts of posts can be done with one multi-photo posting? If there a forum rule limiting one photo per posting, that rule should be changed. If there is no such rule, there needs to be some instructions on how to put several photos in one post. I checked the FAQ and and even searched for "posting photos", but got no info later than 2002, which was before the board was redesigned.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by lens42 View Post
                          This is great and very informative, but does anyone know a way that these sorts of posts can be done with one multi-photo posting? If there a forum rule limiting one photo per posting, that rule should be changed. If there is no such rule, there needs to be some instructions on how to put several photos in one post. I checked the FAQ and and even searched for "posting photos", but got no info later than 2002, which was before the board was redesigned.
                          Just a suggestion, but you could try to copy and paste them.

Comment

When I post pics it seems like I can put 4-5 at a time if the files are not too big.
                            I'll admit it is a bit annoying to have only one per post........but no one care what I think....sniff

Comment

I was invited to use a Miller Syncrowave 250 so I tack welded all the parts together at my workshop and headed off.
                              I have used the Syncrowave before but only for steel never ali so the settings may be a little incorrect but it got the job done. I must admit I prefer an inverter machine now as you can fine tune your weld a little better. The reg meter on the gas bottle only had 2 notches of gas left so I think there was not enough sheilding gas because towards the end the puddle just kept oxidising.

Ji
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.