Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG Peddle Cover

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Peddle Cover

If your TIG peddle is like mine than it is made from plastic.
    Though mine is in good condition and gives pretty good grip when stomped on I would like to see it made from metal. The next best thing would be to make an aluminium peddle cover for it.
    This should give it some more protection, better grip when leaned on and make it look Niiiiice.

Because this is a complete custom job remember that old saying

"Measure twice and cut once"

The sides of mine are tapered so I will have to make mine a small amount oversize.

Ji
    Attached Files

As usual I will be using 1.4mm thick aluminium tread plate.
    I marked up the plate and cut all the corners out ready for folding.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

With the help of a drill, scroll saw, hammer and a pair of tin snips I cut out the foot stop and finished the fold fine tuning.
      With a small file I deburred.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

It is starting to look like Ned Kelly's armour.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

Time for a test fit.
          Snug.
          Very pleased with the result.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

All that is left now is to TIG weld up the seams and silicone the cover on.

Ji
            Attached Files

Comment

Sweet

Comment

That's so bad looking jigantor that I pay you to ship it to my house just so you don't have to look at it anymore. Another great project I really like it been thinking of something similar for a while.

Comment

jigantor,

Your posts and projects are always fun to read and inspiring.

I too have a "plastic" foot control for my Dynasty and plan to replace it with a steel version from SSC Controls should it break.

Wish I was as good working with alum as you are.

I am fair with tig on stainless but alum is a tough nut to crack for me.

It seems I need to clean my pieces to operating room standards for tigging alum and perhaps I will get ok welds.

I will say that my Dynasty has made it much easier for me to tig alum compared to my old Airco Heliwelder IV.

But, if I didn't have anything to do for practice what fun would that be!!

Comment

Hi Showdog,
                    I think it is Sweeeet too

Thanks for the kind word.

Ji

Comment

Hi Jsrcgsr,
                      Thanks for the offer but I like its appearance.
                      It is easy to do and keeps you TIG welding that silver stuff.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ji

Comment

Hi Burnt Hands,
                        I try to make my posts fun and inspiring.
                        Working ali is easy, think of it like timber, you can just about use the same tools.
                        I only give my ali projects a quick S/S wire brush and a wipe with an acetone damp rag.
                        I melted a lot of practise 1/8" plate when I started and that is what you have to do, but after a while it all comes together.

Thanks for the knid words

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
                          jigantor,

Your posts and projects are always fun to read and inspiring.

I too have a "plastic" foot control for my Dynasty and plan to replace it with a steel version from SSC Controls should it break.

Wish I was as good working with alum as you are.

I am fair with tig on stainless but alum is a tough nut to crack for me.

It seems I need to clean my pieces to operating room standards for tigging alum and perhaps I will get ok welds.

I will say that my Dynasty has made it much easier for me to tig alum compared to my old Airco Heliwelder IV.

But, if I didn't have anything to do for practice what fun would that be!!
                          I have an SSC pedal for my XMT 304...It is well worth it, and made from steel!

Comment

I TIG welded the corners and linished the welds down back to a round nose corner, that way there will be nothing to catch my boot on.
                            I gave the welds a very quick hit with some 240 grit wet and dry sand paper and an even faster touch with the polishing wheel just for the photos. After all this is going to get treated like a door mat.

Ji
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks nice Jig.

I bought a couple pedals from SSC & feel they are far superior to Miller's plastic version.

If that pedal ever craps out, that's exactly what I would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.