Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad this is done

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Glad this is done

    This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
    Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
    pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
    pic 2 mig welds on the frame
    pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
    pic 4 after the first day of testing
    last a vid of it during testing

    Name:  b859fb155632d806442e21e56bc5efaf.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  65.8 KB
    Name:  f2a4ba484a521ebf2ff26ae4c5487a6d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  45.6 KB
    Name:  aa0a149a689a8234d7a867764a741eb7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  f75ade0ce23b9b62b8e49376236b5d72.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  33.0 KB

    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4

  • #2
    dissapointin

    almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

    Comment


    • #3
      No reply- sometimes it happens.

      Welding Table thread and ya get couple hundred replies but a job like yours and nuttin.

      We do like mo' better Photos though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dppmfg View Post
        This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
        Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
        pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
        pic 2 mig welds on the frame
        pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
        pic 4 after the first day of testing
        last a vid of it during testing

        Name:  b859fb155632d806442e21e56bc5efaf.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  65.8 KB
        Name:  f2a4ba484a521ebf2ff26ae4c5487a6d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  45.6 KB
        Name:  aa0a149a689a8234d7a867764a741eb7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  47.9 KB
        Name:  f75ade0ce23b9b62b8e49376236b5d72.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  33.0 KB

        http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4
        Nice work.
        Was it mild steel or more exotic?
        What filler?
        Looks heavy!

        -Ian

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by crabber View Post
          Nice work.
          Was it mild steel or more exotic?
          What filler?
          Looks heavy!

          -Ian
          Mild steel for frame 70s filler wire.
          ar400 for the wing wear plates with tuballloy hard surface on the edges. dont remember the exact grade it has the carbide chunks in it very good stuff. Final ass weighed just under 3000 lb it is about 9 ft by 9 ft by 2 ft and i tell you it looked like a toy under the rock car.
          oh yea not that heavy material 2 x 4 1/4 wall rec tube for most of it 3/8 plate for the rest. The idea is when it gets caught on a concrete crossing it breaks apart and does not break the rock car.

          Thanks for the replies.
          I will try and get more pics from now on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dppmfg View Post
            almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

            Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pontiac Freak View Post
              Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words
              Cant get any more pics of this project
              hoped to get some during the install. finally getting better at 1/8 7018 vert and overhead and wanted to get some feed back on it
              install plans changed last minute we were only given a window from 8 pm to midnight to work on it took 4 days instead of the 2 full days planned
              my pore old cameria does not work very well in the dark
              the next day while doing the run in and by off we cant get very close to the machine and all i had with me was my cell phone
              Will try to do better next time.
              Thanks for the compliments

              Comment


              • #8
                Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by spotsineyes View Post
                  Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.
                  LOL that would be a good name! Or Is the check here Yet??

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.