Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool Cabinet Accessories

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Cabinet Accessories

A new tool cabinet in the workshop soon turns second hand.
    Things get put on top of it, things get leaned up against it and things get crashed into it.
    Before you know it all the beautiful powder coat is chipped off all over.

One way to keep it looking its best is to make some corner bash plates and a bench top.

Ji
    Attached Files

My first accessory is a aluminium bench top.
    I purchased a 2mm or 0.0787" aluminium sheet cut to size.
    I then folded it into a pan.

Time for a test fit.
    Pretty good.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

I then placed some square tube on top of the tool cabinet.
      The tube size has to be larger than the splash back.
      I made sure that there was enough so the sheet will not sag.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

I then TIG welded the corners.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

I then filed the weld and sanded them until they were nice and smooth.
          I deburred all the edges.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

Time for a test fit.

Very happy.
            I could spend a few hours sanding all the little fabrication scratches out but what would be the point, their only going to find their way back there in a week or so.

Ji
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jigantor; 08-12-2010, 01:52 AM.

Comment

The ali tube cost $14.00 and the ali sheet cost $25.00 so all up the ali bench top cost $39.00AUD or $33.00USD.
              It took me approximately 1.5 hours to fabricate.

Snap on bless their heart charges $983.00AUD or $835.00USD for their S/S bench top. That means I have to go through 25 of my ali ones before I break even.

Ji
              Attached Files

Comment

The next accessory to be made is the corner bash plates.
                These should give the box the most protection. That said there is no reason why they should not look good too.
                I purchased some ali tread plate and had it cut to size.

Ji
                Attached Files

Comment

I marked up the plate and sanded all the edges to a smooth edge.
                  I then folded it.
                  With some white spirit dampened rag I cleaned any oils off the plate and box.

Ji
                  Attached Files

Comment

With very thin double sided tape or what I used clear gutter silicone adhere the corner bash plates to the box. Check with silicone manufacturere for suitability when applied to metals, paint and powder coat.
                    Clamp until silicone has set and clean up any mess.

Job done.

Ji
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jigantor; 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The plate cost $10.00AUD and took around 30 minutes to complete.

The good people at Snap on sell their S/S corner protectors for $132.00AUD.
                      That is very reasonable and worth buying.
                      The only reason I made these ones is the Snap on ones don't come in tread plate which matches the theme in my workshop.

Ji
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks as good as the ones Snap On want's to sell you for sure. I'm surprised you did not build the box as well. Come on, you know you've thought about it at least once. I know I have.

Comment

Hi Davinci2010,
                          Yes I sure did think about fabricating my own tool cabinet.
                          The only thing that stopped me was the cost of the ball bearing drawer slides.
                          Here they cost $50.00 each so all up the slides alone would cost $1600.00 for the required 32.

Ji

Comment

I'm with you on the price tag for the top, and the corner guards. Whenever I have enough money, and tools to buy another one, I plan on having it sprayed (all the way around) with hot spray truck bed lining material.

It isnt the corner, or the top I have issues with, its the sides, and the back. If you ever have to move the box (Like I seem to have to do...all the **** time) you eventually tag something that goes straight through the paint.

I got the stainless top on my cart for free though. I had a sheisty snap on dealer for a while (I'll with hold his name...for his sake) that was giving me the run around on my new tool box a while back (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog) He kept trying to give me a yellow one, instead of the black one, that I had originally ordered. I finally told him, either show up with one in a week or less, or I am calling snap on corporate, to tell them what is going on. This was after a month of arguing with him, not being able to get ahold of him, with no luck at all, getting the toolbox I was already making payments on.

Two days later, my box was there, with a brand new SS top on it already. He still got fired, and corporate still got a call from me.

Looks pretty nifty though Jigantor, I may just have to make myself some new corner guards, though they'll probably just be plain AL.

Comment

Hi On Fire,
                              Snap on has a great product but they have a great price tag to go with every product.
                              Some products are reasonably priced, you know just twice what other tools sell for while others are off the chain.
                              That said we still buy them.

Great to read your words.

Ji

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.