Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paper Towel Dispencer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Towel Dispencer

I have started this thread to show want I made.
    This is not the only way to make one nor is it the best way.

I work on old MX bikes. Forks, shocks and engines all pulled apart leaking oil everywhere. I don't use rags to mop up the oil as this would mean having an endless supply. Rather I perfer to use paper towel. I went looking for a dispencer a month ago but none of the machinery shops I purchase from had any for sale nor did they know where to get one.

Today I decided to make one out of, you guessed it "Aluminium"
    The Ali I used is 3mm or 1/8" thick 6060 T5.
    I had this laying around after a job so the material this time did not cost me anything.
    I also used a length of 19mm or 3/4" diameter ali tube, also 6060 T5.

Ji
    Attached Files

First of all I marked out the design and cut out the shape.
    I left some material to my pencil line for shaping.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

I then clamped it into a soft jaw vise and with a trusty file removed my pencil lines.
      I did not spend to much time with this, after all ali files like wood.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

Finding a large drill bit that was sharp I drilled the holes for the round tube.
        The hole has to be larger than the tube but not by much.
        Debur and smooth all edges with a sanding block.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

If you have a folder or pan brake like me fold up the sides, if not clamp the sides into a soft jaw vice and bend.
          Test fit the tube.
          It is starting to look like something.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

The paper towel dispencer needs to be sanded and polished but basically it is done.
            I have to drill two small holes in the end of the tube for the locking pins but the hardware shop is shut today so that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Pretty pleased with the result.

Ji
            Attached Files

Comment

i wish i had the aluminum resources that you do... i cant afford to play around with aluminum very often

Comment

Is aluminium expensive or just hard to come by in the States?

Ji

Comment

alot more expensive than mild steel... it's easy enough to find, just alot more expensive (and i am good friends with the metal sales girl...and it's still expensive)

Comment

Since China started buying steel the cost has gone through the roof.
                    Aluminium is still more expensive but not by a mile anymore.
                    Stainless steel is still pretty expensive.

I love aluminium because you can work it like wood and it does not need painting.

Ji

Comment

Great job i love working with alum too. I will be building a new side cover for my chainsaw tomorrow from alum...Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
                        Yes it is easy to get a good finish with ali.
                        I just think of it like timber and you can use just about all the same tools.
                        To cut unusual shapes in ali I use a hand scroll saw.
                        Welding ali was my last problem but I have the hang of it now.
                        Good luck with the side cover

Ji

Comment

I have made some too, not as fancy.Name:  e1dec0b6106b3783aa54b2931451d217.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  36.0 KB

Comment

Hi Sberry,
                            It does not matter how fancy they are, it is not a test, it is just showing how we have solved a problem in our workshops so we may encourage others to have a go.
                            None of this stuff is that hard, but can really save some time in the workshop.
                            Thanks for adding to this thread

Ji

Comment

These are with conduit clips, a Name:  32f5a0180a962f22e775caacf82e97e0.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  28.5 KB minnie to allow one end to be anchored and mounted to allow it to swivel and the other a one hole clip bent to hang the roll on.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.