X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigantor
    started a topic Aluminium Tool Tidy

Aluminium Tool Tidy

I started this thread to show what I have made, I do not suggest anyone else follow my work nor do I suggest this is the only way to build a tool tidy.
    Experts will find this topic very boring.

Today I started making a tool tidy for my welding table.
    My welding bay is all aluminium (floor, bench and fixtures) so it is only natural that I decided to make it out of aluminium 6060.
    I purchased some 20 x 20 x 3mm or 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" square tubes and some 25 x 25 x 3mm or 1 x 1 x 1/8" square tubes, if you have some off cuts from a job that would work well but my aluminium shop cuts my lengths to exact size and only charges by the weight so I have very few off cuts.

This tool tidy is to organise all the tools used every day like screw drivers, files, ruler, square, pence, scriber, hammer and so on.

Ji
    Attached Files

• Jigantor
    replied
    Hi Hockey,
    So Snap on are the same the world over.
    A bit like McDonalds.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• hockeyguynick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hy Hockey,
    I did not start this topic to bag Snap on.
    That said we have found here in Australia that Snap on has a time limit on the life of a tool. If the tool is older than the time they will not be replaced.
    If the tool has been abused or you are the second owner again the tool will not be replaced.
    If an air tool is out of the one year warranty period by a day and dies they will not fix it under warranty.

Ji
    yeah, i was talking about the credit limit. My tool guy talks me into buyin stuff constantly, im an easy sale, haha. He calls in to Snap-on "yeah you can buy a bigger toolbox, i just increased your credit limit for ya" If its that easy to increase it, why have one? And I know about the service deal. I bought an air ratchet that was used, and it started gettin real weak, i had to pay for repairs

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Hy Hockey,
    I did not start this topic to bag Snap on.
    That said we have found here in Australia that Snap on has a time limit on the life of a tool. If the tool is older than the time they will not be replaced.
    If the tool has been abused or you are the second owner again the tool will not be replaced.
    If an air tool is out of the one year warranty period by a day and dies they will not fix it under warranty.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• hockeyguynick
    replied
    Snap-On has a limit??? Who knew? I'm not even a mechanic anymore and i'm still payin for stuff, haha

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Hi Sparks,
    I am in sunny Brisbane, Queensland.
    I have a few more workshop projects so will post soon when I get to them.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• Sparks Downunder
    replied
    Cool

Hi Ji,
    Nice project, I really enjoy making stuff for the workshop especially tooling, Where abouts in Oz are you? I'm in Newcastle area.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Hi On Fire,
    Yes I agree it is not every ones cup of tea.
    I have the tool tidy sitting on top of my rolling tool cab.
    I played with the lazy Susan and now it rotates smooth.

The problem I have is when you have so many tools in one tool box, is that tools are on top of other tools and it makes it hard to find some of them.
    This way my most used tools are on hand.
    Like a ruler, pencil, small file and so on.

Ji
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• On fire most of the time
    replied
    Looks pretty cool, definitely seems to work for you. Nice little project.

I'm a much bigger fan of tool boxes, than tool racks/holders though. At the moment, its even nicer, since my Snap On box is in my garage next to my welders.

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Hi Tom,
    Well just my next project but this time with out having to jugle tools and stuff.
    It is so nice to have a clear, clean bench to start the day.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• tom37
    replied
    Nice job Jig, what are ya going to do with all the extra room on the bench now?

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words Strube

Ji

Leave a comment:

• strube1369
    replied
    Tool Tidy

Really sweet job!

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    I think it is worth the cost just because you don't have to paint it when finished.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
    All the aluminium used cut to length cost $70.00AUD or about $60.00USD.
    A timber knife block in the kitchen shops sell for more.
    I thought that was cheap for a handy tool tidy, I wonder how much Snap On would sell one for.

Ji
    The cost of Aluminum is worth it IMO just for the fun of working with it.Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X