Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG Torch Holder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Torch Holder

This is how I made a holder, it is not the only way and it is most likely not the best way. I started this thread to help or motivate others.
    If you are an expert you will find this stuff very boring.

Today I was sick of taking so much time to safely place my TIG torch onto the bench I decided to make a torch holder.
    I used some 6mm or 1/4" mild steel round bar and a 75mm or 3" G clamp.
    I started out by bending the bar into shape and cutting to a rough length.

Ji
    Attached Files

Next I ground the round in the areas to be welded.
    I also ground all the paint off the clamp in the welding areas.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

Clamping round bar to a flat member is difficult but can be done. Sometimes you have to get creative.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

With everything lined up welding is next.
        This only has to hold up the torch so I did not get to fussy about length of weld.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

I placed at a slight angle down wards a 180 deg bend and welded it into place.
          I then cut off all the oversized bits and sanded all ends round and smooth.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

Time to test the holder.
            Yep she works, well good enough.

The design of your holder all depends on your bench.
            My welding bench has a steel rectangular section running 25mm or 1" back past the Ali top.

Ji
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the holder in use.
              The torch is now safe and out of the way. The tungsten electrode is not getting contaminated by all the junk on my bench.
              Very happy with the result.

Ji
              Attached Files

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention!

It may not be the fanciest or the most trick, but it works!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

It will never be called a super model but it is doing the job.
                  Your first attempt leads to the second and to the ultimate.
                  At this stage all I want it to do is hold the torch but soon I may want one that holds onto my gloves, helmet or what ever.
                  The most important thing is to make the first one.
                  I hope this helps others to think about what they need and how to make it.

Ji

Comment

I mounted my holder on a magnet, now I can place it just about anywhere I'm working.

Comment

See what I mean every work bench is different.
                      Mine has a 5mm or 1/4" think aluminium top on it so magnets won't work.
                      Nocheepgas have you any photos of yours that you can post?
                      I would like to see what others have come up with.
                      Every TIG welding station requires one along with a bin.

Ji

Comment

Hey Ji,
                        Your approach is good for moving your torch positions & not having to be concerned with either a steel or aluminum weld surface. Mine is steel & I like simple.... I just welded a 1" steel tube to the weld table. I also made a small support rack under my shelving area next to the TIG table to keep my rod sorted, clean, & handy.

Denny
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Denny,
                          Your holder is fantastic.
                          Your bench is small so there would be no need to go looking for the torch or a need to move it around.
                          Your holder combine with my clamp would be a mile better than what I have done from an ease of build point of view.
                          I have a similar PVC pipe storage system to you but mine have end caps to keep out moisture and other air borne contaminates.
                          Great photos thanks.

Ji

Comment

Hey Ji,
                            Yeah, I do have caps for all the tubes. The pic was taken just after installing them & filling each of the tubes.

Denny

Comment

Hi Denny,
                              I thought you would have caps.
                              Pretty sweet setup mate.
                              It does not take much to get yourself setup with everything at your finger tips.
                              Tool caddies or holder are pretty handy, I am going to make a TIG line holder next.
                              The line or hose that carries the argon and current to the torch is heavy and should not get kinked, so I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling in my workshop directly over the welding bench. This way it is up and out of the way, not getting kinked and not draging the torch down out of my hand.

Ji

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.