Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Patio Table

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Patio Table

Decided to build myself a patio table. the top is from 2inch angle, the legs are 1 1/2 square, and the cros braces are from a old set of bunkbeds, because i did not want to stop and go get steel. same goes for the little piece of 2 inch pipe i used going through the leg braces, its a old piece of car exhaust. the shape is a decagon (10 sides). figured a square was too easy. With the frame done i went on to do the top, to help me fill the 2 inch angle, i used 1/2 inch plywood, 1/2 inch cement board (about 2 days after i cut i found out they make a lighter product, hardy wonderboard backerboard, would have saved me about 30lbs). then finally the terra cotta tile which is around 1/2. of course there is mortor in there. used a dark brown grout, and a leather brown paint for the frame. the finished peoduct weighs around 200 lbs . i figured if it gets stolen weighing that much, they had to work hard for it, so they can have it. overall it was a fun project. i got to learn alot with it.
    1. im not too good at math, but thats ok, my father in law is.
    2. just because im a fire fighter does NOT mean im fire proof. was wearing my "lucky" jeans, with holes in the knees and they flamed for a minute.
    3. wearing ear plugs while welding is a good idea, welding off angle, got a spark in my ear.
    4. No plan survives first spark.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, sorry they are out of order.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

that should be all of them

Comment

it looks great man, and i just have one rookie question. How did you figure out the degree of cut to make it round? thats the only thing that messes me up when building anything, is figuring out the angle that i need to cut.

Comment

60degrees X 6sides = 360 circle

Comment

Originally posted by stugots View Post
                  60degrees X 6sides = 360 circle
                  Might wanna count again.

Comment

4 sides, 6 sides, 10 sides, 190 sides............ makes no difference..... divide the sides into 360, and you get the required angle set.....

Comment

lol,,, good eye, i didnt see that,,,, same formula

51.43 x 7 = 360

Comment

But this formula is correct. Say you wanna make an eight sided frame of equal length. 45 degrees would be the angle of each piece, 45 x 8 = 360 . So then each end must be mitered at 22.5 degrees to make a 45 degree angle.

Comment

yup, you would cut that number in half to get the actual saw cut angle, and that would be 22.5

Comment

so how ever many sides i want i divide that by 360 and thats the angle i cut. Very good to know, i am learning so much just reading what you guys post

Comment

after you find the degree of the angle, you cut that in half, thats the angle you set your saw at to cut.

examples,

60degrees X 6sides = 360 circle ---- 30degrees actual saw cut angle

45 x 8 = 360 --- half of 45 is 22.5 thats the actual saw cut you make on the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.