Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

a top swinging gate over a creek

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a top swinging gate over a creek

landscaper buddy calls and asks me to come up with an idea for a gate over a creek. when it rains, the water comes up and moves VERY fast! leaves and debris gets caught in the chainlink and washed the whole fence out. the idea is to build a fence that can swing open from the bottom to allow debris through then to close so that the "good" animals stay in and the "bad" animals stay out.

he sunk to 6x6 treated posts 10 foot in the ground and concreted them in and had poured some concrete to shore up the sides so the posts would NEVER get washed out. this was before i got the call.

build a fence off from 2 posts. this one is the smaller of the two. 6 ft tall, 6ft 3 inches wide. (creek flooded and i couldnt hang the second one...yet)
    Attached Files

Looks like an interesting project.

Comment

Don't you love field welding near water???

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
        Don't you love field welding near water???
        it can be a shocking experience from time to time...

Comment

But you are still here to post about it!

That's all that COUNTS!!!

Thanks for posting this thread!

Comment

finally got the other gate installed today..... i think i need some help... anyone around the central arkansas area that has a decent portable rig??? i have too much work going on right now, send me a pm, please
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
              finally got the other gate installed today..... i think i need some help... anyone around the central arkansas area that has a decent portable rig??? i have too much work going on right now, send me a pm, please
              Bummer I'm so far away!

Comment

Nice work. The only problem I would have avoided in the future is to have used pipe instead of wood for the post. Those post will rot out in a short amount of time buried in concrete. Doesn't matter that they are treated either. The wood will shrink as it dries, the concrete won't, thereby creating a "bowl" of sorts that keeps the wood saturated. The best way to set wood is by tamping dirt round them. Just offering my 20 years experience dealing with such things as helpful advice not critisism.
                Jeffery

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.