Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to paint bbq pit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to paint bbq pit

i got an old pit thats real rusty and id like to repaint it. the lowes close by has hi heat spray paint, is there something better that would work? how do i prep the pit? i didn't build the pit but ive seen a lot of bbq pit builds on here so i figured there would be someone here that knew how to do it. thanks

Sandblast it to get rid of the rust and give it a coat of POR 15 Black Velvet
    http://www.por15.com/High-Temperatur...ts/products/8/ good to 1200 degrees.

Comment

i dont have a sand blasting machine lol. and i dont really feel like paying to have it sand blasted unless it would be pretty cheap. i would be willing to pay like $100 to have it blasted and then paint it myself that day but not much more...

Comment

Sand the pit and treat it with Jasco Metal Etch and then spray paint it with Rustoleum or Krylon High Heat paint. I've done a few of them this way with good results.

Comment

Take a flap disc to it to remove the rust if its just surface rust!

Comment

For a pit or smoker that you want to keep and last, there is no substitute for proper preparation! If you are going to do this yourself and save money, get the right materials and do it right once!

I agree with the abrasives to strip it down but when it comes to the coating, I side towards the Por-15 Black Velvet. It is more expensive but much stronger and more resistant to anything else a person could apply themselves!

Common BBQ spray can paint may last but will come off with the slightest hint of solvent like Brake cleaner or carb cleaners.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.