No announcement yet.

A custom tri-axle hot shot trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you go about fabbing up the gooseneck tongue? Im guessing you had a few helping hands? Also, did you start building the trailer upside down and flip it to finish it? Or did you build the whole thing right side up? I use to build all my own bumper pulls and I always started building them upside down. Made it much easier to weld the x members and rails on...but that goose neck looks like it would be a MONSTER to flip over!

Comment

yes, i have a few helping hands, a john deere tractor with forks, a 4 yard wheel loader, a t-300 tracked skid steer with forks...lol... I fabbed the gooseneck seperate and welded it on the completed trailer body. I built it right side up from the start... I dont like to flip em and run the chance of knocking stuff out of square...

I get everything tacked and clamped in place, then weld it all out... No final welds until its all in place. Might be a better way of doing things, but i seen too much stuff go wrong only to find that i have to cut welds loose to change it...
      welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
      www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

A lot of the 3 axle trailers around here went for scrap. The problem with them was they were always breaking axles. ALWAYS.

Load them up to capacity with hay and pulling in and out of the fields through the ditches and they would lift the front two axles off the ground. Putting 20K on one 7.5K axle isn't the best idea.

I converted a couple of them to 8K tandem torsion axles with 17.5" wheels and tires that were adequate for part time uses for general transport stuff but not nearly as good as a dual tandem setup

Comment

makes sense.... this trailer sees highway use...lol.... kinda hard to get any tires off the ground (if he does, he should slow down.... then again, ive never seen a slopar get fast enough)

flame on
          welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
          www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Just tell him to go easy pulling in and out of the truck stop parking lots and keep an eye on the leading and trailing axle at every stop. should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
              makes sense.... this trailer sees highway use...lol.... kinda hard to get any tires off the ground (if he does, he should slow down.... then again, ive never seen a slopar get fast enough)

flame on
              I'm assuming you put some walking beams between those slippers? if so no problemo Dexter does not recommend 3 axles with the torflex's
              Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

Nice work!!!!!!!!

Nice work.

I like the under-slung tool boxes they will come in handy for tie-down storage.

Scott
                Fab Manager
                Welders360

Comment

Working...
                X