Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lathe Boring Bar Holder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Boring Bar Holder

While at the regional competition for FIRST robotics at Wayne State University in March, I welded together some scrap to make a boring bar holder for one of our teams lathes.
    Attached Files

Lathe Boring Bar

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
    While at the regional competition for FIRST robotics at Wayne State University in March, I welded together some scrap to make a boring bar holder for one of our teams lathes.
    Looks like that will work. How do you set your height of your boring bar or was that set when you made this holder. Looks great anyways.

Comment

We chucked up a drill in the headstock of the lathe and used it to drill the boring bar holder, as it was mounted on the compound slide. This made the hole on the center of the axis of rotation of the lathe. You will notice that we bored it lower than the center of the round bar stock. We did this to allow more material for the tapped hole for the screw that secures the boring bar on the top.

You will also notice that there are two different size holes in the boring bar holder. Although I stuck the boring bar in the larger hole for the picture, I should have taken the time to put it in the other smaller hole. This would allow the boring bar to be on center of rotation of the lathe.

Comment

Nice job...Bob

Comment

Slick, I like the two holer idea, it could use a rough and finishing bit at the same time. I give er two thumbs up!!!! Might try to duplicate for my small lathe for those pesky little holes we all have to make sometimes.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.