Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make ther own welding lead reel?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make ther own welding lead reel?

I am thinking about making a couple reels for my welding leads after seeing what one of the welders made. I would like to hear any suggestions and tips that you guys have to offer. Thanks in advance.

heres a set i made

no bearings, and they aren't hot, so it was easy to make

just plug in jumpers from machine to reels and you're ready

dave

Comment

Welding Reels

My Dad made a set that held over 100' and could be turning and welding at the same time He made to copper plates that was a perfect mate and interlocked together used them for 15 years than sold the truck. Work really good can make a drawling if you want. You will need a Lathe to make this kind where the kind Dave has would be easyer to make. And I'm sure works well.
      Last edited by Vernon; 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon View Post
        My Dad made a set that held over 100' and could be turning and welding at the same time He made to copper plates that was a perfect mate and interlocked together used them for 15 years than sold the truck. Work really good can make a drawling if you want. You will need a Lathe to make this kind where the kind Dave has would be easyer to make. And I'm sure works well.
        I would love to see a drawing or picture.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughneckDave View Post
          heres a set i made

no bearings, and they aren't hot, so it was easy to make

just plug in jumpers from machine to reels and you're ready

dave
          You say there not hot but it looks like you have a lug on the inside with a connector on the outside. Is this isolated from the reel somehow? The diameter of the pipe looks small, does the cable wind up o/k?

Comment

welding reels

check the pictures I have of my rig under the thread. Hobart/ Miller at the lake. and you can see my reels, they are made from Alum. horseshoes. get a lot of comments about them. they are not live. have four. two for welding leads one for extension cord. and the other one I use for 200 feet of 10/3 cable so as to plug in my mig and tig welders for 220 power off of my welder. diverdown

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon View Post
              Hey vern, I too would like to see a drawing of the set up you used. I am thinking of making a set for my shop and need some ideas to ponder on. Thanks!!!
              Bob

Comment

Here's what I did for the syncro 250 set-up..

Comment

I built some about 10yrs ago. One is hot, they hold 300 feet of lead. I will post pictures tomorrow if you are interested.

Comment

Here are the reels I made. They have brass bushings. Nothing fancy though.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a tutorial on my website which lays out the math for building the right sized reels for the amount and size of cable you want them to hold. There are also pictures on the website of my reels and reel tree mounted on my rig.

http://www.coalsmoke.com/Coalsmokes/...3A_part_1.html

Comment

homemade reel

I am in the process of building a set as we speak. Any luck and they will be finished this weekend. I built mine from some old trailer hubs I had laying around. I will try and post Picts when finished
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JOE WAYNE; 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I have a quick question men. When installing the lead to the reel, are any of y'all putting dielectric grease between the copper terminal and the reel. Or is it just metal on metal?

Comment

No need for a reply. I now have them painted and finished. I just finished wiring them in. Hope this helps.

Comment

Add Content
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.