Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixing a dent

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing a dent

this job come in today,,, its a dent

im going to fix it,

first i use a stud gun (it welds the sticks onto the panel) and start pulling the dent out.

next i take pictures and post them to the internet.

later i will use a hammer and dolly,, and start bondo and paint,, but we are not there yet.

Comment

Baseball Bat ?

Is that as baseball bat ?
      Is that to put the dent In or Take it out ?

Just kiddin', Good start.
      Keep us posted on your progress !

............. Norm

Comment

When I first started removing dents from cars an older wiser body man once told me. "Study the damage, figure out how it occurred, which part happened first and last. Start where the damage occurred last and work toward where it happened first and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation and stretched metal."

I've always used this approach with great success. It doesn't matter if it's a little ding or scrape or if the core support is 6" away from the firewall.

Hope this helps.

Comment

i tell you what i do need,,,,, the stupid radio code for this honda

the radio number is U2420 L2537

hope someone here can get me it! LOL crosses fingers

Comment

Heck you could have worked that dent out without ever firing up the stud gun.....should have had complete access from the back side.once you pulled the tail light would have been easy and probably not much hammer dolly work ....Jim

Comment

Bondo.

Real bodymen use lead.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                Bondo.

Real bodymen use lead.
                Haven't you heard? Lead is now considered both environmentally and politically incorrect.

I guess I'll be incorrect!

Comment

Originally posted by stugots View Post
                  i tell you what i do need,,,,, the stupid radio code for this honda

the radio number is U2420 L2537

hope someone here can get me it! LOL crosses fingers
                  To get the radio code you will have to take the radio and the title to a Honda dealer (parts dept) and they can either look it up or call Honda and get it. The reason for all of this BS is to prevent theft. I had an Accord I had to do just that with. The part that ticked me off is when I pulled in the lot I hadn't even got out of my truck yet and they wanted to sell me a new car, then as I was leaving a different salesman (liar) tried the very same thing.

Comment

yea,, i dont even want to deal with a dealership in the correct way, as im not the owner and i have no title,,, im hoping someone here may work for honda and could pm the code,,, so i dont need to do all that...

in the morning im going to call dealership parts counters and try to sweet talk the code from someone over the phone.

but im no good at sweet talking due to my abrasive personality.

Comment

Comment

Bondo.

Real bodymen use lead.
                        You're not using lead on that area of a new car........more warpage than you'll want to deal with....coming froma bodyman who uses lead.

Comment

Uho,

Yeah. If you haven't figured it out, I was pulling his leg a bit.

Nothing wrong with bondo if used properly. I first used it in the 60's with a Corvette I had. Little hard to use lead on fiberglas.

Problem with bondo is that so many people use it wrong. Use it as a "crutch" to get around poor bodywork.

This new hi-strength steel used today, I'm sure, would throw me a curve. I was taught how to use a torch and wet rag to shrink metal by my uncle more years ago than I care to think about. I'm sure it wouldn't work with todays materials.

Comment

bumper bracket reinforcement technique

Comment

Uho,

Yeah. If you haven't figured it out, I was pulling his leg a bit.

Nothing wrong with bondo if used properly. I first used it in the 60's with a Corvette I had. Little hard to use lead on fiberglas.

Problem with bondo is that so many people use it wrong. Use it as a "crutch" to get around poor bodywork.

This new hi-strength steel used today, I'm sure, would throw me a curve. I was taught how to use a torch and wet rag to shrink metal by my uncle more years ago than I care to think about. I'm sure it wouldn't work with todays materials.
                              It still works ..Just a little more temperamental than the older stuff......I did some lead work recently on a 70 nova hood that I welded a cowl scoop on.........lemme tell yuh the hood took the heat no problem,the aftermarket scoop on the other hand wanted to walk all over.....had to refine my method a wee bit but it worked out ok.. Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.