Boat Stern Drive Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stugots View Post
    this is just silly,,, green works great, the trick to using green,,, is knowing how to weld....

and like i said a few posts up,, it still has its place in the welding world today, or at least in my world.

pure produces some of the nicest, roundest stacked dimes

not this "V" pointed inverter crap,,, LOL

like this
    ))))))))))))

not this
    >>>>>>>
    So do you honestly believe, with everyone in the world wanting to tig weld aluminum, mainly because of the stacked dime look, that everyone would also be buying inverters that gave a "v" shape instead???
    It is the prep that you do on the tungsten that gives you your shape. If you make a ball on the end of your lanthanated the same dimension as on your pure then the puddle will be the same shape. Tungsten isn't magic.
    The alloys in tungsten are blended to handle the effects of electricity and it's polarity in varying amperages. The puddle is effected by the shape you grind it.
    I can set both of my Dynasties on sine wave and adjust the frequency and balance to make a wetter puddle than your "old school" (not!!) Syncrowave EVER could. (Give 40hz a try sometime)
    If you want to be defiant that is fine...I can even admire that at times. But don't let it pull the wool over your eyes to the point that you are uninformed about what you believe. It makes you sound like you are less expirienced than you are.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Well said Fusion King The rebuttal will be here soon as he won't let go LOL

Ronnie

Comment

to do what you said,,, it would make the fancy machine act more like a non inverter setup running a pure tungsten.

thereby making the buying of an inverter over a transformer type just a pointless expenditure of ones funding.

im a welding jedi, i become one with the puddle, i have no time for pressing buttons, grinding fancy tungstens or reading howto turn on your dynasty stickys !!

LOL
        Anything you could do, I could do better.
        I can do anything better than you!
        Lockheed Martin
        Armco Steel, Baltimore
        USW local #3185

Comment

FK,

Well said.

I don't think his comments "make him appear less experienced than he is".

I think he's just a hack, that doesn't know any better, but has got a big mouth anyway.

His comments just reconfirm what many of us already knew.

Rebuttal in 3,2,1....
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

to do what you said,,, it would make the fancy machine act more like a non inverter setup running a pure tungsten.

thereby making the buying of an inverter over a transformer type just a pointless expenditure of ones funding.

im a welding jedi, i become one with the puddle, i have no time for pressing buttons, grinding fancy tungstens or reading howto turn on your dynasty stickys !!

LOL
            Once again you miss the point
            The inverter can reproduce the arc/puddle of a transformer whenever you wish.
            And you can modify it whenever you need it. You can use it to ENHANCE your style and ability. While using 1/2 the energy!! And way less than 1/2 the weight and space taken up.
            Try running a syncrowave on 120v.
            If you know what a pure transformer arc is like and when it is good to have, then you can simply dial it in....or even make an improvement over that, in the same direction.
            BTW...if you are setting here and typing responses, then you have plenty of time to set a hobby welder in your home shop. Let's keep it real here.
            The day is pretty much here that if you was to apply for a job welding non-ferrous and was competing for a position against an equally talented weldor...the man who most understands the modern inverter technology and how to put it to the best use....will be the man who continually gets the nod.
            Last edited by FusionKing; 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

thats not true at all, inverters in real world fabrication shops are as common as hen's teeth.

just wondering

perhaps you or someone else could explain to me how this "fushigi" ba!! type thing on tv works?

it cost 19.99 and seems to defy gravity,, im half temped to buy one and cut it in half just to find out.

"Fushigi Magic Gravity BaII"
              Lockheed Martin
              Armco Steel, Baltimore
              USW local #3185

Comment

thats not true at all, inverters in real world fabrication shops are as common as hen's teeth.
                Maybe in the ones that have not upgraded in the last 10 years.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

I suspect Stugots wouldn't know a "real world fabrication shop" if he was standing in the middle of one.

Based on the comments I've seen, he doesn't even know what the machine he has is capable of.
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

and what comments would those be to bring you to that conclusion?

its been my experience, that people who act in such a way as you are doing,,, may know a great deal about the text book aspects of a trade, they own a bunch of fancy tools and such, but when it comes to preforming the actual hands on work aspect, the results are always less than stellar and or take three times as long to preform....

i compounded the above view with the fact that you own or owned a corvette,,, and this only leads me to believe that im in fact correct in my original assumption.
                    Lockheed Martin
                    Armco Steel, Baltimore
                    USW local #3185

Comment

and what comments would those be to bring you to that conclusion?

its been my experience, that people who act in such a way as you are doing,,, may know a great deal about the text book aspects of a trade, they own a bunch of fancy tools and such, but when it comes to preforming the actual hands on work aspect, the results are always less than stellar and or take three times as long to preform....

i compounded the above view with the fact that you own or owned a corvette,,, and this only leads me to believe that im in fact correct in my original assumption.
                      Man I wish I had a Vette. As for real world.....all my friends KNOW I wake up in a different world everyday!!!

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                        Man I wish I had a Vette. As for real world.....all my friends KNOW I wake up in a different world everyday!!!

you dont want a vette,

there is a guy down the hill from me,,, he has a late model yellow vette, he waxes it everyday and in between waxes, his wife makes him walk one of those stupid little poddle dogs around the yard..

i always have a good laugh every time i see that,, how someone could even take an interest in a car like that.... or even a poddle dog for that matter.

also,, at car shows,,, the vette owners will bring lawn chairs and sit away from the rest of the real hotrodders,, as they know they are weaker and need to huddle together in numbers for protection.

Lockheed Martin
                        Armco Steel, Baltimore
                        USW local #3185

Comment

I worked on Vette's for years. Old one's, new one's, ZR1's, Z06's, even a few Callaway twin turbo's. It does kind of loose it's appeal when you have to make a living on it. Was fun at times though!
                          Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

you dont want a vette,

there is a guy down the hill from me,,, he has a late model yellow vette, he waxes it everyday and in between waxes, his wife makes him walk one of those stupid little poddle dogs around the yard..

i always have a good laugh every time i see that,, how someone could even take an interest in a car like that.... or even a poddle dog for that matter.

also,, at car shows,,, the vette owners will bring lawn chairs and sit away from the rest of the real hotrodders,, as they know they are weaker and need to huddle together in numbers for protection.

I had an automotive machine shop for years at our Garage and auto parts store. Worked on a few vettes. I built some pretty nice big block ones.
                            I don't know if you have ever driven a beefed up big block vette but they are very sweet.
                            I know a good bit about GTO's and old Chevy pickups too. I currently do the engine work on a 65 Goat hardtop. It is my last remaining customer from the machine shop days. It is street legal (sorta) and currently runs 11.60's.
                            I don't go anymore. I just wrench it in the winter. I've done just about every old musle car engine there is. I don't DO car shows tho. Those guys are too much show and not enuff go for me. No matter what kind of car they drive IMO.
                            My folks still go to about every car show they can tho.
                            At this point in my life, my biz is enuff thrill for me generally speaking. I would rather get into my welders than about anything.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

I bought and owned for 19 years a 1969 Vette 427/390hp 4-speed coupe. I paid 3200.00 for it in 1982 and drove it to school my senior year. It was fun to drive as it had the special handling package (forget the name) on it as well. It did however have some draw backs, rear wheel bearings were not fun to replace, tight area to even change plugs and wires. Always had a small power draw and battery would be dead after about 2 weeks setting. Everything was like a boat and had to be grounded really well or the power draw was worse. It was generally very reliable and would handle like no other car I have ever owned and would burn the tires passing, pull out shift into 3rd and hold it to the floor and go by someone at 70-90 mph burning the tires kinda sideways sometimes....lol. Glad to have owned it, but don't miss it.

My dad owned a service station and wrecker service for 35 years so I knew how to fix anything on it and I was a tool and die maker for 20 years so what I couldn't fix or buy, I made...lol!

Also,

If you ever need any boat parts like that, pm me as I have a friend that parts out boats and sells the parts very reasonable and will ship them in CONUS. I bet he has 5-6 of those and you could get one for 100.00 or maybe less....you never know. Anyway I wanted to put that out there, he has a ton of old outboard parts too. He has in-line 4cy engines, V6, and V8 engines used as well for I/O's.

Comment

Can this go any further off topic?
                                Miller Syncrowave 200
                                Homemade Water Cooler
                                130XP MIG
                                Spectrum 375
                                60 year old Logan Lathe
                                Select Machine and Tool Mill
                                More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Working...
                                X