Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bed Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Project

I finally got a few days off from the rig and got some real work done on a custom bed project for a bedroom renovation. I liked the modern look of zebrawood and wanted to incorporate some metal in my design too. But zebrawood from the local hardwood lumberyard is about $30/ft. So I made my own out of plywood. The inserts for the headboard and footboard are made from stainless and copper woven together and sprayed with some clear to keep from tarnishing. Pretty pumped about it. Just have to make the side rails...when I get some more time.
    Attached Files

Thats pretty slick and creative.In the photo the stain appears really dark is that the effect your after or did you have a problem with the end grain of the ply getting too dark and needed to stain the rest to match?Mike

Comment

It's stained two ways because I like to make things incredibly difficult for myself. I put an ebony paint stain on first. It seeps deep into the soft sections of the plywood for kind of a flat finish and then is glossy on the end grain of the ply. I sanded the legs down so that only the soft remained black and then put a walnut stain on to darken up the grain.

Comment

Nice Bed

Nice job. I like the zebra effect with light and dark wood. It looks like a sturdy mutha. This is my next project - except out of steel. 1 1/2 X 4 rectangular tubing with stretched metal for a top.
        Attached Files

Comment

Dang it. Now I want something like that. Oh well, there's more than just one room in my house. And a reason to buy a roller.

Comment

Originally posted by jerems View Post
            Nice job. I like the zebra effect with light and dark wood. It looks like a sturdy mutha. This is my next project - except out of steel. 1 1/2 X 4 rectangular tubing with stretched metal for a top.
            And it will be easy to move when you rearrange the room Mike

Comment

Looks like that will require some thoughtful sleep.

NoogaD:
              Looks like a nice project.

Comment

looks really nice - what gauge metal do you use for the weaving?

Comment

I used 16 gauge stainless and 16 oz copper. Figured anything less would be too easy to bend and burn through. It's very sturdy though.

Thanks Nocheep!

Comment

nice bed

I like the lattice - but... how did you get all the edges smoothed out - just a whole lot of filing and emery cloth?

Comment

I like the lattice - but... how did you get all the edges smoothed out - just a whole lot of filing and emery cloth?
                      I used an abrasive disc on my grinder to get the mill scale off the stainless and rough up the copper. It cleaned off the burrs from the edges as well. The clear spray paint also takes a little bit of the edge off. I didn't need a high polish; plus, you would scratch the polish badly trying to weave the strips and getting those cleaned up after weaving is really difficult. I ground down the tack welds so the inserts would fit in the rabbits of the wood.

Also, I found that the 4 1/2" abrasive discs from Harbor Freight for about $5 last a good bit longer and don't heat up and leave residue quite as bad as the 4 1/2" Gator Grip discs from Lowe's that cost about $11.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.