aluminum and spatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi W1,
    the attached pics were from about teh time we had our conversation on the side with regards to your comments on "flat welds" and how to do them.
    I dont thing i used the setting you suggested on these because i hadnt practiced yet but anyways, have alook. these two are both 0.125 to 0.125 5300 series AL ( i think...)
    Attached Files
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

a little hard to tell, but mostly it looks like your'e not running hot enough. turn it up and burn it in. i welded aluminum for a while, and thought i was doing pretty good, an old timer in the shop (different place and a few years ago) came over and began turning the knobs on the machine to the point that i thought he was going to twist them off turning the machine up. he said now weld and move quickly. he wasnt playing, now i run even hotter than he suggested and way outside the wire manufacturers parameters that i use. the weld will get a slight v shaped ripple nothing round about it when its right. and you'll see the tell-tale grey streaking on both sides of the weld where the arc is burning the oxides just like the tig does.
      Last edited by welder_one; 12-05-2007, 10:02 PM.
      welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
      www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Okay W1,
        I'll try that. Most of the weldments on this boat do have that "v" shape to them and as i look at them all, i wonder how the welder managed to get that shape. I guess he knows the secret.
        Darcy Kellahan is the fellows name and he's been welding alumiunm for a long time. Mostly boats but he has since switched to makig truck racks. Less headache bettr profit margin he says...

I'll be back with some more pics. I know that the last ones I posted sucked, but i had no real choice at the time. The camera batteries died and it was getting dim out there.

I take it that this would now be spray transfer and it should hiss more than it crackles?

ThanksW1.
        Rich

Miller 251/30A spool
        Syncro200
        Spectrum 625
        O/A
        Standard modern lathe
        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
        Roland XC540 PRO III
        54" laminator
        little dog

Comment

Signwave,
          I have been trying to figure out the same type of problem you are. I turned my current way up and it seemed to switch to a spray transfer like you said and I had pretty good results. It's still fairly smooty but the connections were strong. I have been setting my regulator at a flow rate of 25 for 1/4" plate but I am going to experiment with a lower flow rate soon. Adam
          Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
          MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
          Syncrowave 250
          Spectrum 625
          Trialbazer 302 w/HF
          http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

Comment

Originally posted by Jetmekdc-10 View Post
            Signwave,
            I have been trying to figure out the same type of problem you are. I turned my current way up and it seemed to switch to a spray transfer like you said and I had pretty good results. It's still fairly smooty but the connections were strong. I have been setting my regulator at a flow rate of 25 for 1/4" plate but I am going to experiment with a lower flow rate soon. Adam
            Post a pic of your welds when you try this out. I'm curious and Im sure that W1, will be able to help us both out with suggestions or comments.

I'll look forward to your posts Adam.

Rich.

hehehehehe... I'll race ya!

Miller 251/30A spool
            Syncro200
            Spectrum 625
            O/A
            Standard modern lathe
            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
            Roland XC540 PRO III
            54" laminator
            little dog

Comment

SW,,Will do, it may be a day or two before I can get to it.
              MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
              Syncrowave 250
              Spectrum 625
              Trialbazer 302 w/HF

Comment

Originally posted by Jetmekdc-10 View Post
                Signwave,
                with pure argon, you very badly need a flow rate of at least 27 cfh at the nozzle. not at the regulator. i set my flow meter at 60 cfh to get 30 at the nozzle because i am using a 30 foot gun and loss of flow from such a great distance to travel. i dont think it a good idea to turn your gas down, but turn it up. the smooty carbon is something your going to have to deal with, get used to it. it is from the arc being long enough to actually burn the impurities off of the parent metal.
                welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

W1 I will give that a try also, I am hoping to setup some tests tonight after work. I am going to try to repeat the same type of pass on several coupons changing only the flow rates in increments of 5cfh. By the way where do you guys go to buy aluminum to practice with. I found a guy on e-bay that sells remnants and cut-offs for a decent price.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/8020-Aluminum-Fl...QQcmdZViewItem
                  MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
                  Syncrowave 250
                  Spectrum 625
                  Trialbazer 302 w/HF

Comment

i cheat on my practice pieces, where i work, we buy mill runs of metal weekly and we also have a coil line so hvae unlimited practice pieces. bad part is finding the time to experiment and practice. i am the only weldor on staff in the biggest sign shop in the world, so i weld 10 hours a day and 6 days a week. the faster i can go the sooner i can get to the "government projects" i have a big christmas list this year.....lol
                    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Well, I had no luck at all. I got all my test pieces cleaned and prepped and intended to do several tests changing only my flowrate. Just after I started my wire stuck to my tip. No problem right, Just change tips right? The old tip would not budge. It wound up breaking off in the gun. I am sure the people across the street clearly heard my reply to that little incident. I tried drilling it and using a small screw extrator but its just too soft. Anyone know where to get one of these? Adam

MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
                      Syncrowave 250
                      Spectrum 625
                      Trialbazer 302 w/HF

Comment

sorry about your bad luck. thats gotta suck. I'd say mail that sucker to me and i'll fix it, but that would take too long to get here and get back and the time in between.

What type of gun is it from? have you checked ebay, local B&S? LWS?
                        take some more pics. I still dont understand whats fubar.

How far are you from Hermann? Ever heard of Moore gears?

Miller 251/30A spool
                        Syncro200
                        Spectrum 625
                        O/A
                        Standard modern lathe
                        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                        Roland XC540 PRO III
                        54" laminator
                        little dog

Comment

Working...
                        X