Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milermatic 135 question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milermatic 135 question

I am begining to build an enclosed ATV trailer and I have a Milermatic 135 and use with flux core wire (too windy and no garage). Some people are telling me the 135 is not strong enough to weld 3/16 channel and angle. Any thoughts? I am having the tongue welded at a trailer shop that has a monster mig welder so I am not worried about that part.

The 135 should be fine for 3/16 with flux-core. Ive welded up to 1/4 with it. Now that i have a 251 i can see how limited the 135 was though. And for the coupler, just bolt it on.

Comment

3/16 i think would be pushing the limits of that machine my opionion!!!! you could tapper the edges and making two passes

Comment

I welded some racks that were 1/4'' mild steel with a 75/25 mix with my 135 (single pass) and the racks are holding 3 tonnes each. I did taper the channel though before i welded it.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly'$mygirl
          I welded some racks that were 1/4'' mild steel with a 75/25 mix with my 135 (single pass) and the racks are holding 3 tonnes each. I did taper the channel though before i welded it.

Thanks for the response! The heavy welds will be done at the trailer shop.

Comment

3/16 with flux core is definitely within the limits of that machine. With proper care, 1/4 may be possible. I have done a lot of 3/16 with mine. Now anything over 1/8 with solid wire is definitely pushing it. It will give a cold 1/8" weld at best, but it will barely do it. If you have good single pass 1/4's, then you got very lucky since the recommended range (according to the Miller calculator) for 1/4" steel starts at 180 amps....way more than the 135 can put out.

One key to getting good output with the 135's is the power input. They need to be on a dedicated circuit. If you must use an extension cord, use a heavy one and keep it as short as possible.

Comment

I have a 30 amp circuit just for my 135. Before when i ran it off a 15 amp circuit i was always tripping the breaker. It was spattering all the time and the welds seemed cold.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly'$mygirl
                I have a 30 amp circuit just for my 135. Before when i ran it off a 15 amp circuit i was always tripping the breaker. It was spattering all the time and the welds seemed cold.
                Thanks again,
                We just took delivery of a Haulmark trailer at work. So I figured why buy plans when I have a full size model to work off. So I crawled under it to snap some pics to start the plans. WHAT A P.O.S. and we paid almost 10K for it. The frame is made with 2X6X1/8 rails (actually I think it's thiner than that) and 5x1/8 C channel. The welds look like a 4 year old did it. For strenght they welded to channels together in certain places.

The trailer I am starting is a 18' x 7' toy hauler with living space. Rear ramp for loading the ATVs and a bunk area up front. 5200 watt generator and A/C (gets hot in South Florida). I will post pics during the process. Thanks again!

Comment

P.S. I just talked work into buying a Miller plasma cutter....he he it's good to be the king.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufridr069
                    Thanks again, .......

The trailer I am starting is a 18' x 7' toy hauler with living space. Rear ramp for loading the ATVs and a bunk area up front. 5200 watt generator and A/C (gets hot in South Florida). I will post pics during the process. Thanks again!
                    That's going to be pretty big project for MM 135. I'd get a bigger machine.

Comment

Yeah, I too definitely agree that a small 120 V unit isn't a good choice for this project. A small 230V 175/180 amp unit would be my minimum for this project.

Comment

Thanks,
                        You guys are giving me ammo on how to tell the wife I need another welder....see there is a method to my madness.

Comment

Thanks,
                          You guys are giving me ammo on how to tell the wife I need another welder....see there is a method to my madness.
                          If your wife asks.....I'm going to tell her I said no such thing!
                          Last edited by wb5jhy; 04-01-2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Remember........it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. ( the wifee taught me that one. )

That and.... he who dies with the most toys wins.....are wise words to live by.

Comment

mm135

I am begining to build an enclosed ATV trailer and I have a Milermatic 135 and use with flux core wire (too windy and no garage). Some people are telling me the 135 is not strong enough to weld 3/16 channel and angle. Any thoughts? I am having the tongue welded at a trailer shop that has a monster mig welder so I am not worried about that part.
                              as the picture states, you can go a little more than 1/8" , with flux core wire, and, maybe a few multiple passes , for the thicker you might wanna stick weld it,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.