Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how high a welding table should be?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how high a welding table should be?

I'm planing my first table.
    i thought about 90 CM from the floor. so I can stand and work comfortably.

If you are the only one using it, or you are the one paying for it, then make it the height that feels right to you. I always make a simple mock up out of plywood or cardboard on projects like this. It is much easier to see in 3D than to guess at it with a tape measure only. If you work on projects that are all different sizes consider a table with two levels. This allows a lot more options for clamping and positioning your workpieces as well as yourself.

Comment

Hi

There are alot of threads on this subject.

Basically, the height depends on what you are doing
      and the person doing the work.

A mock up is a good idea.

Also, look at the height of your kitchen counters -- how do they
      feel as you are doing stuff there? That would also be a good gauge.

One trick that I find useful is to make a bench somewhat lower
      than I'd like -- which is good for working on bigger things -- and
      then put risers on top so that it's easier to work on smaller things
      that may require finer work.

Finally, the woodworking people have written a bazillion books about
      woodworking workbenches, etc, etc. One of the key things they talk
      about is (you guessed it!) height. You might want to get a couple of
      those books and see what's in them.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by davinci2010 View Post
        If you are the only one using it, or you are the one paying for it, then make it the height that feels right to you. I always make a simple mock up out of plywood or cardboard on projects like this. It is much easier to see in 3D than to guess at it with a tape measure only. If you work on projects that are all different sizes consider a table with two levels. This allows a lot more options for clamping and positioning your workpieces as well as yourself.
        thanx,
        how do you make two levels?
        do you have pictures of that?

this is my plan right now (thanks to google sketchup)
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any pictures as my digital camera is broken. I left the waist height work surface as the largest as that is where I do most of my work. I built another smaller work surface at a height about the same as my knees when standing. It's actually like a big table with a smaller and shorter table welded to it's end. Your design looks good. Think about projects you might build on this table and things like clamping ect. It's easier to change now than once you've started. Everyone needs something different in a worksurface. I left off grinder hangers and the such as I would likely just clutter my table up.

Comment

Originally posted by nachche View Post
            this is my plan right now (thanks to google sketchup)
            Out of curiosity, what's the function of the square tubing under the top surface?

Comment

The legs of my welding table are made of 3" square tube, with a 1/2" hole at the bottom of the legs.
              I then took 2.5" square tube and drilled 1/2" holes spaced 1" apart and inserted them inside the 3" legs so that the table height can be adjusted from 24" to 36" @ 1" increments by raising or lowering with a floor jack and a 1/2" hitch pin in the hole on each leg.

The casters are pinned on in the same manner so they can be removed when I don't want the table to be moved. It has been very helpful for me to be able to adjust the height of the table for different jobs to take some of the strain off my back when welding out of position for long periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
                Out of curiosity, what's the function of the square tubing under the top surface?
                here is your answer...
                that way i can move the vice and put it in every corner/side of the table.
                it doesnt have to be only for vice.. can be used for grinder etc.
                (I think I took the idea of 2 legs to that mount from your garage picturs... so thank you!
                Attached Files

Comment

Asking what height a welding table should be is like asking what size shoes you should buy.

Buy a pair/build a table that's comfortable for you.

Comment

here is your answer...
                    that way i can move the vice and put it in every corner/side of the table.
                    it doesnt have to be only for vice.. can be used for grinder etc.
                    (I think I took the idea of 2 legs to that mount from your garage picturs... so thank you!
                    Ah, now I see. They're receiver tubes. Cool.

If you haven't built it yet, you might want to re-think the recessed area for the saw. I don't know that you want to weld and cut in the same location, since the heat/slag/grinder-spray might not be what you want for the plastic parts (and motor) on the saw. You can cut steel all day on a wood surface, and you could probably make a table that works for both a metal cold-cutting saw and a wood-cutting miter saw, if you do both kinds of work. (I'm a hobbyist, so I do everything in the same garage.) I think if my saw were that close to my welding table, I'd end up cutting up a welding blanket to make a hood to put over the saw to protect it.

If you're talking about an abrasive wheel chop saw, it might not matter. I guess they would have to deal with a lot of heat and dust since they generate so much. But I chucked my abrasive saw a long time ago.

Comment

All welding tables should be exactly 33 13/16" high.

One of the nice things about metalworking, it's easy to make things longer or shorter as needed.

Just build one, leaving enough room to cut some off the bottom of the legs if necessary, or add some. Or do like the guy previously said, make the legs adjustable.

I agree with what SundownIII said. Like shoes, there is no perfect "one size fits all".

Comment

here is my table it is 35 inches tall it fits me I 'm 5'8".
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am 5' 10" tall. All my benches are 40 inches tall. This seems to be the perfect height for me and those I have made benches for in the past. You obviously can make the bench any height you wish. If you are going to stand at the bench like you said you are I am sure you will find that 90 cm is too low for most tasks and will be hard on your back. I also suggest you add some receivers as others have mentioned. Good luck.

Comment

thank you all for the replys
                            I am considering again puting the saw on the table..
                            i found out that 85 cm will be good for me (I'm 1.83 cm tall)

do you have some pictures of table legs that can be shorten ?

Comment

thank you all for the replys
                              I am considering again puting the saw on the table..
                              i found out that 85 cm will be good for me (I'm 1.83 cm tall)

do you have some pictures of table legs that can be shorten ?
                              You'll need a ladder to reach the table

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.