Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question lightning rod for a home

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question lightning rod for a home

Question How should a lightning rod for a home be made and what type of material would be best used for this project a wind vain type maybe ??

Any picís thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Copper would be my choice from what i see on old barns around here. My dads barn has copper and a twisted copper wire about 1/8" x 1" coming to the ground. I see signs around here http://www.drboom.com don't know whats there but i see lots of signs...Bob

Comment

I would put a copper one foot high rod at the talest point on your structure, and run twisted stranded wire ( about the size of a pencil to handle the current) down to the closest point that I could find to the ground. The most important part is that YOU MUST have a good ground rod connected at the ground point. You want the lightning Arc to go to ground as fast as possible, and be dissapated all into that ground rod. I suspect that if you google lightning rods you will get some expert advice. To me, the most important part is the ground rod being well connected to the earth, other wise you are just attracting the lightning to your structure that you are trying to protect..
      Jim

Comment

this is one project that i myself would not even try,,, and im a complete nut.

i once talked to an electrician about doing this type of thing myself,,, he laughed,, i believe that this is even separate from normal electricians know how, and is a highly specialized installation/certification/materials. after all,,, it involves god knows how much power,, coupled with the unpredictably of lightning.
        Last edited by stugots; 05-21-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Do a Google search for "Lightning Arresting Equipment". There are many sources for information, parts, and prices, but this is a very specialized field and it isn't a good idea to do it yourself.

Charley

Comment

Nfpa_780_2004

Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
            Question How should a lightning rod for a home be made and what type of material would be best used for this project a wind vain type maybe ??

Any picís thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
            You can find some information in the following link:

http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students...A_780_2004.pdf

Comment

it's just for my own education of how no intentions of use just wondering how they are made and materials used.

Comment

You want sweeping turns of the wire not sharp 90'bends. you also want a large dia of wire running from the spear to the ground rod's that are in the earth.
                And don't forget the glass indicator ball, so you know if you took a hit. The ball shatters, show you know when it gone you been struck.
                lightningrods.com

lightningrodparts.com

Here are two that you will find use full

Comment

Originally posted by PTsideshow View Post
                  You want sweeping turns of the wire not sharp 90'bends. you also want a large dia of wire running from the spear to the ground rod's that are in the earth.
                  And don't forget the glass indicator ball, so you know if you took a hit. The ball shatters, show you know when it gone you been struck.
                  lightningrods.com

lightningrodparts.com

Here are two that you will find use full
                  Thanks great sites and good info!

CH!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.