Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dye Penatrant Test

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dye Penatrant Test

did a Dye penatrant test today at school and came out mostly clean. this is the second in a row that was clean.. gotta work on a few little things but i should be ready to test with inthe month.

top:

Bottom:

slight pin hole on bottom, easy fix tho:

83 Views and No Comments

Guess I'll be the first

Not sure how long you've been at it, but most testers require a "Neat workman like appearance", you're not there yet, but if you've only been at it a short time maybe you could be ready to test in a month? Otherwise, keep practicing. Also why 3 passes?

Comment

run three stringers because i cant get it in 2.

actually i find if i run the 3, i can keep them a little neater and more consistant, also it means i can carry a little less metal with each rod.

I know about the appearance, and that is one of the little tweaks im making now, we had a test last week and i wasnt ready, so the next one will most likely be mid-june.

Comment

It's hard to stacked the beads beside each other on a 2 inches pipe in a neat way.
        when I do it I try to put the edge of the puddle on the apex of the previous bead.
        Good luck

Comment

I had a long-time welder give me some advice the other day that helped out a ton. When you weave, he said to watch for a shadow cast on the previous bead from the arc. Move your rod so that the edge of the puddle just hits on the edge of the shadow line. This will give you a consistent line to follow on your previous reinforcement pass. That way you don't get the individual bead look, or "corn rows" as my one instructor calls em. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post

actually i find if i run the 3, i can keep them a little neater and more consistant, also it means i can carry a little less metal with each rod.

I know about the appearance, and that is one of the little tweaks im making now, we had a test last week and i wasnt ready, so the next one will most likely be mid-june.
            What size pipe are you welding, wall thickness, root opening, etc? If it's 4" or less you ought to be able to get it in a single pass (I'm assuming it's an oxy-acetylene weld).

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
              What size pipe are you welding, wall thickness, root opening, etc? If it's 4" or less you ought to be able to get it in a single pass (I'm assuming it's an oxy-acetylene weld).

I don't think so esp. if you read this. Besides I think that would be one GIANT honker of a weld if it was OA

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post

I think it would be nice to know the pipe size and rods and amps and all that tho....the OP is quite vague.

Comment

sorry guys.. brain fart on my part should have included it.

-2"pipe A106, XXS .436" wall, single v grove, 35 degree bevel (+/- 5 degrees)
                -6G position with no side to side rotation of the stand.
                -Open root, no chill ring, 1/8" gap 1/8" land
                -E6010 1/8 root, E7018 3/32 balance of coupon, all passes are uphill progression DCEP.
                - OD reinforcement flush to 3/16" MAX.

for the root I'm running at 60 amps with good penetration.
                I then run two weaves at 72.5 amps and 75 amps respectively
                I then run two stringers to flush at 77.5 amps
                and I finish with a 3 stringer cap at 77.5 amps

Using Lincoln Fleetweld 5P+ for 6010 and Lincoln Excalibur 7018 H4R, which is stored in a 300# Pheonix oven.

Using a Miller MOG 250/250 BPC machine.

again, sorry for the lack of info, if you would like any more, let me know.

Thanks for all the tips btw.
                Last edited by DamageInc537; 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM.

Comment

For me i go with a 3/32 gap, dime landing. 90 amps for 6010 1/8" root, 95 amps for hot pass 6010, 80-85 amps for fill passes and cap. Every job I have tested for required 3 stringer cap min. no more than 1/16" reinforement on cap, 1/32" on root. If you are in the UA you should be testing to ASME section IX. You also need to tighten up the stingers, edge of the second stringer on the crown of the first.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.