Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The oil spill metal container four stories tall

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The oil spill metal container four stories tall

I was checking out the metal container they are building to cap the oil leaks. i noticed they were welding it up with either arc or Flux-cored wire feed. Pretty amazing construction. I think they are using Miller and Lincoln. How much you think theyre making?
    Attached Files

how many portable welders can u spot in the picture =P

Comment

i counted 7.

Comment

If they weren't so new looking, I'd look like a Lincoln boneyard.

Comment

Probably SAE 500's with Stainless Steel cases.

Comment

Originally posted by forschoolonly559 View Post
            i counted 7.
            Looks like 7 on the ground and at least one ESAB on top.

Griff

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/05/gul...ill/index.html

-Dan

Comment

That is a pretty big box to just look at it. I would imagine dropping it 5000 feet and trying to hit an area where it will cover a whole leak is going to be quite a job. Compared to the floor of the gulf that box is nothing. Good luck BP.

Comment

Originally posted by diamondback View Post
                  That is a pretty big box to just look at it. I would imagine dropping it 5000 feet and trying to hit an area where it will cover a whole leak is going to be quite a job. Compared to the floor of the gulf that box is nothing. Good luck BP.
                  Diamondback I believe the box will be lowered over the wellhead so they can contain what's coming out of the wellhead That is the only leak. the other's they talk about are from the drill stem that broke. But it's only what was in the drill stem that's leaking out. If the BOP's were working the leak wouldn't of happened. Jef

Comment

I just envision the little quarter game where you drop your quarter into a box of water and try to land it on a little piece of plastic to win a drink. An the water is only a foot deep and the box has a small foot print.

If they are able to do they are some amazing target shooters.

Comment

I like to know how this all started, wondering if they were trippin pipe or drilling ahead. And how many wells they had punched around that area.

Hate the fact that some have died. When I heard this I shed a tear, I know what it’s like to be up in the tree or on the floor when you get a kick. I’ve had 2 fires back in the day. If they were trippin pipe, that drill string could be a bird’s nest on bottom around the BOP and all hydraulic line severed. Could be why they’re unable to close any of the rams.
                      Still what a mess. Hope this box works

God bless the missing and there families
                      Last edited by FabTech; 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM.

Comment

The box didn't work according to the ABC World News. Fire was caused by methane gas if I understood correctly. They[rig workers] said a gyser of water shot as high as 240' in the air before the gas exploded. Those that survived are lucky.

Comment

If that is the case, when they took the kick all the drilling fluid came up out of the hole, when that gas and mud comes racing out of the hole through the rotary table the bushing pop up and if they strike metal that your spark itís like a giant blow torch. They might of panic, and no one kicked the valves to the bag. Or maybe the Bag didnít work at all. I know when I was a rough-neck that drill was practice over and over again. Still wondering if they were drilling ahead or trippin pipe anyone know?

Comment

They were casing the well. I know 3 guys that worked on the rig, 2 of which were off the other was on it when it blew out luckly he made it off alive.
                            Last edited by PipeLayer; 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Pipelayer, glad your friends are ok.

This only means that the BOP failed. Running casing is an open hole. The Shear and blind ram should have worked. So here they go finger pointing at Halliburton for setting a bad plug.

Any rig welders out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.