X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevyman992002
    started a topic Bench vise pedestal

Bench vise pedestal

Hi all, just wanted to post up this little pedestal I made for my bench vise. When I was in school at wyotech they had the vises mounted on old 18-wheeler rims so you could move them through the shop. I though that would come in handy since I'm working in a small 2-car garage. So one of the guys I work with was able to find me an old wheel and I bought the piece of plate and the 2x4 tubing and the rest is history. Let me know what you think. And yes, I know I'm using a Lincoln welder. Hoping to have my Miller TIG by the end of the year though.

• chevyman992002
    replied
    thanks for the compilents. If I really need to crank on something, the vise will get bolted to the bench. I just made this incase I have something really long that I need to work on or something that I may need to grind on while in the vise. Easier to do that stuff in the driveway. And yes, the vise is bolted to the stand now. I took those pics right after I finished making it.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    It also works better if the vise is bolted to the stand.

Leave a comment:

• bert the welder
    replied
    Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
    When you really need a vice, you need it bolted down to something that will not move. Your wheel will work for a lot if instances, but when you need to hold something in the vice and really crank on it, look for a way to mount that wheel to your concrete floor.
    Funny, I thought the same thing.
    Good, though, for helping hold something in place for assembly or at the drill press.
    Nice welds!!
    Is that a 4/5" Craftsman vise? I have one. Takes a lickin' and keeps on grippin'!

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    When you really need a vice, you need it bolted down to something that will not move. Your wheel will work for a lot if instances, but when you need to hold something in the vice and really crank on it, look for a way to mount that wheel to your concrete floor.

Leave a comment:

• Pocketchange
    replied
    nicely done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X