Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excavator Boom Busted

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excavator Boom Busted

Got a call today for a crack in 490 John Deere Excavator Dipper boom.
    Almost completely broke off.
    Attached Files

snapped stick

that looks like fun.........there was a post in the last couple days concerning a broken excavator stick and the pros and cons of fish plates on top and bottom or on the sides...........it was labeled something like metal surgery i think.

i look forward to watching the progress of your repairs.

good luck,

jim

Comment

Nice.....I repair lots of those.....looks like it's right at the end of a repair?
      Originally posted by W Welding View Post
      Got a call today for a crack in 490 John Deere Excavator Dipper boom.
      Almost completely broke off.

Comment

I've seen one of those not too long ago . Look on my metal surgery thread.
        You can see exactly why the boom failed. The add-on cylinder anchor plate look like it was welded right across the top and that little fishplate design is not really properly design and welded.
        Good luck with the project. I love doing this kind of job. Keep posting the progress.

Comment

Yup, my thoughts were very similiar to Daniel's when I viewed the pictures.... Kind of a No-Brainer having a failure right where all the lines of stress are concentrated.

Previous re-pads are completely wrong - Sharp corners are a really bad idea. Should have been larger to spread out the load over the entire side of the boom.

I am terrible with drawing diagrams and posting them. but as mentioned, we have another thread on here illustrating a MUCH better design for re-pads (fish plating) for a repair like that.

Keep us posted.

Comment

NICE!!! I live everyday of my life to find projects like that. last week (i didnt take any pics, but should have) i came across a 330 link-belt and they tore the boom foot right outta the boom.... clearing trees sideways.... that was a fun time for me.... need any help? i travel...lol

Comment

Most of the time you get a call. "Can you come fix my machine? Operator says it has a small crack in it. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two." Have fun.

Comment

Progress

Made progrees today on the repair. Boom was twisted and rolled.
                Go it lined back up, cut out area around cracks.
                Welded backing plates in, started repairing the cracks. Had to remove 4" on right side from jagged crack replace with a new piece. Welded both sides up clamped and tacked side fish plates on.
                Tomorrow will remove the thumd cylinder attach fitting, repair crack install new plate on front and reinstall thumb attach fitting.
                Thanks for all the comments guys.
                Attached Files

Comment

Much Better... MUCH, MUCH, Better....

Only comment I would have is Don't be affraid to put LARGER holes (2" - 3") in a fish plate of that size to weld it to the boom.

I probably would have put 3 equally spaced 3" holes in a piece of that size, but that is just ME...

As it stands, I will still give you 10/10 over the previous repairs.

Keep it up.

Hey, WHERE are the pictures of the welding truck in the background? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by W Welding View Post
                    Made progrees today on the repair. Boom was twisted and rolled.
                    Go it lined back up, cut out area around cracks.
                    Welded backing plates in, started repairing the cracks. Had to remove 4" on right side from jagged crack replace with a new piece. Welded both sides up clamped and tacked side fish plates on.
                    Tomorrow will remove the thumd cylinder attach fitting, repair crack install new plate on front and reinstall thumb attach fitting.
                    Thanks for all the comments guys.
                    Now that's a fishplate! Nice work.

Comment

Nice Job. Like Black Wolf saying big plug welds is nothing to be scared of and you might consider stiching the fishplate, sometime it actually makes it stronger. Very nice

Comment

I agree with the others. Not only bigger plug-weld holes, but more of them, and on a plate that big, I'd stagger them also. Main value of plug welds, it prevents the fish-plate from flexing independantly of the original material.

Also, maybe you just haven't got to this yet, I'd cut that thumb cylinder mount off, put another plate along the bottom of the boom (on top in your pic), that goes at least 12" past both ends of the side plates. BEFORE you start the taper. Then weld the thumb cylinder (or stiff-leg) mount back on. There should be a plug weld on that plate, at each end of where that cylinder tab goes, so it doesn't work the new plate back and forth, solid metal down to the original boom. In addition to whatever other plug welds you choose to put in. Otherwise it will just rip out again.

Comment

Repair Complete

Finished up the repair today.
                          Customer is happy. Thanks for all the comments.
                          Blackwolf I included some pics of my truck.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures of the truck.

Everything should lock up nicely at night to keep the crack heads out of your equipment.

Have a Good Day.

Comment

Nice job nice rig.Noticed the shielding gas hose on the ground you run dual shield on that?If so what what kind?Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.