Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HF Bender making the bent parts the same.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF Bender making the bent parts the same.

So you have a bender and need 100 pcs all the same size. No problem here are a few tricks. I needed 100 hangers for my ceilingtrains.com bridges and they have to be exact to suit me anyway. I start with all my bending on the top of the frame unless its a real thick part and the bending would be done inside the frame where its stronger. I just use longer 5/8" bolts i got cheap from the farm store to hold the round dies. The first step is adding a length gauge to the center die bolt. (pic 1) that way i don't need to measure the parts on each bend. Mine is 8" in this pic. (pic 2) is a length gauge cut from sq tube that id ground on the corner to fit the already bent part radius then butts against the die. You must remove the tube before bending or you will have a nice radius and your part will be too long. So just insert it and set some tension on the steel with the handle then remove the gauge. (pic 3) is the bucket of parts that are the required 7 1/16" at the outside. So next time you hear you can't get perfect parts from a 49 dollar HF bender just give me a yell...Bob
    Attached Files

Good thinking & nice bends.

Comment

I've got to get myself one of those. Nice job on the rails Bob.

Comment

bender

Very useful info! I too, have a HF bender. I tell people it is so I can make identical mistakes... Your ideas make it even more useful! Thanks.

Comment

Awsome bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

For the $ 100.00 that they cost I have found it to be a tool that cost the least and gives me the most.

My big problem is with the Harbor Freight tubing roller, They made the dies for tubing and not for pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post

My big problem is with the Harbor Freight tubing roller, They made the dies for tubing and not for pipe.
              I am trying to get set up to make pipe and tube dies. I bought an old big lathe and have the radius cutter done i just need to get it all working...Bob

Comment

I've only done a few small projects with my Harbor Freights tubing roller, all with 3/4-inch black pipe bought at the local big box store. No problems at all to report / now that I have the main dies keyed.

Comment

Sanora, It seems I remember a post about the roller not being keyed and only having a set screw to hold them.
                  If your drive roller wont drive your kinda screwed.

Ametalmaster, If you can covert them for pipe let me know and I'll buy one from ya.

Comment

If your drive roller wont drive your kinda screwed.
                    Kinda screwed?
                    What were they thinking?
                    Works great now!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.