Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you hate staight lines......

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you hate staight lines......

VERY SPECIAL REQUEST FROM A LADY , ONE OF A KIND CUSTOM RAILINGS , THE ONLY STAIGHT LINES IS THE ANCHOR PLATES . TOTAL OF 42 LINEAR FEET .
    H/R 1 1/2 FLAT BAR X 3/8 FRAMING , INSIDE IS 3/16 .THE TOP IS HALF CIRCLE 5/16 FORGE HEATED TO FORM AND WELDED ALL THE WAY .
    A LOT OF GRINDING AND BLENDING .

Bobby
    Attached Files

Looks nice. Wouldn't pass many codes around here though.

Comment

Wow. This is got to be heavy. Nice

Comment

looks great.

Comment

Beautiful work. There is the concern about codes and for good reason. Codes don't come to be out of thin air. Accidents happen and codes follow to remedy them.

Most of the places I know won't allow a railing if there's more than four inches of space anywhere in the pattern. That's to protect small children from suffering a choking injury or fatality. It makes sense and it gives the artist-blacksmith-weldor a little more of challenge.

Your work is great and shows craftsmanship. I would recommend researching and incorporating the spirit of the codes even if they're not required though. I carry a two million dollar cumulative general liablity insurance. That wouldn't be a drop in the bucket dollarwise against a fatality. It would also break my heart.

Comment

Nice railings

They would be right at home in Spain. The wife and I visited Barcelona a few years ago and saw a building designed by Antonio Gaudi that had no straight lines on the facade and much of the interior. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3

Did you buy your parts at King Metals too?

Comment

AWESOME!!!! All that needs to be said. Other than the insult about King Metals!

Comment

Awesome design. I have done some similar and was challenged to meet the 4" sphere rule. I think your design is deceptively open though, as in the installed pictures you can't see all teh minor scrolls, so it may well meet the code.
                Also, you said the top rail was half round? Tubing or solid bar? and where are you getting it?

Thanks,

Comment

I have no artistic talent whatever, but am curious about the joints where two piece of strap appear to cross "through" each other. Do you form each curving strap full-length, and then half-notch the two straps and fit them together to weld? Or are those all separate, cut pieces?

Comment

Great railing Zen. Our codes out here on the coast suck when it comes to doing anything other than pickets. We just got around the inspection by drilling small holes and bolting on some thin plexi sheet to be code "compliant". If the owner happens to remove the plexi panels after we leave and after inspection, that's not our problem.
                    Great line flow!!!

Comment

k zen,
                      AWSOME! Did you use a regular ring roller for that!!!!!!!!!!
                      VERY impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

that looks very nice!
                        good job :]

Comment

That's my kind of job. I can't seem to make anything straight anyway :-P
                          Seriously though, nice work.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.