Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

metal surgery completed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal surgery completed

This was a long operation. As an employee send by my employer to customers, most time I have to go by what the customer wants, which the majority of the times, he knows what he want and knows the amount of money he wants to spend.
    This customer knew what he wanted and as a load of machinery the he fixed himself, himself welded all kinds of machinery cracked and twisted all kinds of way for a long time and he's experience shows. He's off the tool now and run this logging and log haulling operation which is very successfull, good guy anyway.
    I had a good talk with him and learn a few thing about heavy duty fixes. Tricks in ways of doings thing that works.
    Anyways he's very happy with the job.
    Let me know what you think. If you guys have anything you think I should've done let me know. I actually like criticism because it makes me a better welder in the end anyways.
    I would of like to take the cylinder anchor plate of and cut the top plate back 6 inches or so and put the anchor back on top of the joint, but that's the way it is right now.
    Here it goes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Daniel; 04-16-2010, 11:21 PM.

I'm not really done on these pics I have put a few more passes on the tip of the top cylinder anchor plate and about three feet of weld on the top fishplate.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I dont think I'm the best out there in welding and speed but I always try my best to make my boss happy and the customer happy. And sometimes it's not easy

Comment

I'm just bouncing ideas right now but if it looks like it wnts to crack between the anchor plate and the fish plate, a guy could put a couple ribs from the anchor crossing over to the fishplate similar to the cylinder ears. That would be pretty ***y actually

Comment

Looks Good

Nice work on the repair

Comment

Daniel what machine did you use for the welding? Looks great btw

Comment

Originally posted by OldDeadOne View Post
              Daniel what machine did you use for the welding? Looks great btw
              It's a gold star with a s-62 wire feeder. It was the first time using that machine. It looks like it shows and voltage much higher then what it is. Not sure but I was running the voltage at 32.5 and it felt like it was around 26 to 28 volts.

Comment

Looks great. I don't think I'd ever have the confidence in my welding ability to fix something like that. I'm guessing the plug welds help keep the fishplates from buckling? Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.