Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

bumper plans

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumper plans

hey guys
    I have been carged with building a set of bumpers for a friend of mine's 2000 ford psd. Since I, nor anyone I work with, owns that specific body style I have little to go off of for a template.

So the question; do any of yall know a resource for plans for ranchhand style bumpers?

What in blazes is a "ranch hand" style bumper? Ive never heard of it..
    Up here in Canada we build moose bumpers! Eh.

rubber baby buggy bumpers?

Comment

Hey sign, your Moose Bumpers are designed to protect the truck when hitting a Moose, we have slightly different targets here in the US!

Comment

ranchhand style bumpers?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something from Brokeback Mountain

Comment

Here's what they really are. http://www.ranchhand.com/FrontBumperReplacements.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepnford View Post
            thats a brush guard... this is a moose bumper

http://www.truckersmall.net/herd.html bet its made in the states too.

Comment

bumper base ............

the pictures are for the rear bumper. the front bumper is the same, except instead of being strait you have angles. ha ha ha ha ha ha signwave.................
              Attached Files

Comment

The Ranchhand replacement bumpers are popular out here in the oilfields.
                Good protection from deer damage. I hit a doe once on the highway with mine, and just vaporized her.

Usually made from 4" pipe, and many use it as an air tank.

On a light work truck, a vise or other tool is often mounted on a rear replacement bumper.

Comment

ive been wanting to make a bumper more like the road armor/ alien patrol bumper. i might get to it this winter or i may just make one like the ranchhand style.

Comment

I built mine out of card board first to work out all the angles and make sure it looked right first. Then I had all the cardboard templates to transfer on the steel. Mines all assembled and welded but I keep adding crap like inset fog lights and A front bumper trailer hitch for moving trailers in and out of my way
                    I used a winch style bumper by Road Armor for a Ford as the design and built it to fit my Chevy. I cant wait to paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by SignWave View Post
                      thats a brush guard... this is a moose bumper

http://www.truckersmall.net/herd.html bet its made in the states too.
                      A guy next door to where I work has a Ranch Hand bumper/brush guard on his pickup. For a light/medium duty truck they look like a good setup. A heck of a lot tougher than a standard bumper.

Comment

Ok so I have hit; deer, dogs, cats, big birds, gates, trees, and even tapped a few cattle but a MOOSE. thats gota dent something.
                        thanks dusty for the hint on the angles. I actualy found one this week that I am going to drag in and just copy.

Originally posted by jake View Post
                        ive been wanting to make a bumper more like the road armor/ alien patrol bumper. i might get to it this winter or i may just make one like the ranchhand style.
                        I was looking at those road armor bumpers they look prety cool but dang hard with all the wild angles. Are they built over a tube base or what?

Comment

no there not built over a frame its mostly brake work i think for me to build it i would have to build some kinda of frame jig to do it. i think i would make a model out of some thin plywood and hot glue it togethor to make the model then brake it down to make the pieces.

i think there would be alot of tack and tweak id imagine once you get some key pieces in all the real funky angles will fall in place. i would like to make the center section out of steel so i can put my winch in it and have a aluminum outer hmm or stainless??? i still really havent found a bumper i really really like

i still want to make a custom louvered stainless grille for my 97 F350 theres a grille i saw on a pete 379 that looked awesome!! it was like 1" strips at a 45deg angle. i want to make it so i can slide a bug screen or air block behind it

Comment

I've built a few bumpers. I've always had good luck making them on the truck out of 1/4" foam board (available at Walmart) first. Its pretty sturdy stuff.

Comment

i like the foam board idea easy to cut and holds shape

THANKS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.