No announcement yet.

How about a little metal surgery...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you fix a boom right it shouldn't crack where you fixed it, I have fixed boom for many heavy duty equipment that are still like they were the day I fixed them. If it's done properly, with the right materials and the right process.

I've cut in halfs logging trucks bunks to take them from 8' 6" to 9' 6" the process was laid out by an engineer.
    I did it the same way as this boom by adding a boxed piece in the middle and fishplating them and none of them showed any cracks. These trucks were from a fleet that are inspected after every day of service.
    Tell you the truth I didn't sleep very well for a few weeks

The reality is that when you make a fix like this on a boom of any kind it makes the boom stronger then when it was new. If it's done right of coarse.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
      Adding metal to the sides of a box beam, will stiffen the beam, not necessarily make it stronger. More likely, it will create a new stress point, for a brand new crack to start. Think about it a little, long and hard. I started many many years ago, doing "Hopto" beams. Don't know what a Hopto is???? Dam, I'm old.
      What's Hopto

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        If you fix a boom right it shouldn't crack where you fixed it, I have fixed boom for many heavy duty equipment that are still like they were the day I fixed them. If it's done properly, with the right materials and the right process.

I've cut in halfs logging trucks bunks to take them from 8' 6" to 9' 6" the process was laid out by an engineer.
        I did it the same way as this boom by adding a boxed piece in the middle and fishplating them and none of them showed any cracks. These trucks were from a fleet that are inspected after every day of service.
        Tell you the truth I didn't sleep very well for a few weeks

The reality is that when you make a fix like this on a boom of any kind it makes the boom stronger then when it was new. If it's done right of coarse.
        If its done right the welded piece should be just as strong or stronger then if it was one solid piece.

Comment

That's right, that's the reason behind root and face bend test to get certified for different position on multiple processes. Cracks show up you fail

Comment

What's Hopto
            Warner-Swassey excavator, what they used to build this country before Cat, Case, JD, Hyundai, etc. excavators became common and popular.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
              Warner-Swassey excavator, what they used to build this country before Cat, Case, JD, Hyundai, etc. excavators became common and popular.
              Nice machine. Those are massive booms. Does this brings back memories.
              Attached Files

Comment

JSFAB fixed booms for Mr. Slate
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Nice machine.
                  Not if you had to fix them,,,,, or operate one. Only at the end, mid 70's or so, did they use swiggle sticks, before that, 8 sticks, 4 foot pedals.

Fixing them, all I can say, these were built with real iron. None of this wimpy "engineered boom" stuff. And a real engine, two-stroke Detroit Diesel.
                  Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I wouldn't like to have to repack one of those cylinders

Comment

Oh, big cylinders, high flow, low pressure hydraulics, but same or better tonnage. Old style stacked leather or rubber seals. Repacking those cylinders, is why my skin is so silky smooth today, no lines or wrinkles. Ask Ed.

Oh, yeah, back in the day, didn't worry about dumping oil on the ground, either. Just dug a hole, covered it up afterwards, built a house on top of it. Good termite prevention

Comment

Mr slate and fred flintstone

Ha ha ha ha ha!

He fixed eq. For mr slate..........you're killin me!!!!!!

When the whistle blew he slid down the dinosaurs back!!!!!!

Did he order one of those giant pork chops from the local drive-in???

I needed a good laugh! That's classic!
                        1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
                        2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
                        LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
                        4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
                        SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
                        SEVERAL GRINDERS
                        LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
                        BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
                        CLASS A CDL'S
                        C7500 FLAT BED
                        4 TRAILERS
                        HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
                        SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
                        TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
                        6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
                        ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                          JSFAB fixed booms for Mr. Slate
                          Ok, Ed. Very funny. I had no idea who Mr. Slate was, remember, I don't watch TV, never have. Asked my wife (who by the way, is far more cool than I am), very much a "with it" gal, she clued me in. I've been out of it for years, of course

Comment

Did the Mrs. laugh?
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Ed, more like she was embarrassed. Couldn't believe that a guy as dumb as I, could snooker a girl as smart as she is, into marrying.

Comment

Like I told her, sometimes you get the frog, sometimes you get the prince. Guess she got the frog

Comment

Working...
                                X