Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a little metal surgery...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a few more.
    Attached Files

Comment

Man That cylinder anchor plate I think was too thick and is the reason why it snapped. It's exactly at the tip of that plate that the rip started. If that plate would have been thinner it could flexed better with the boom.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        Man That cylinder anchor plate I think was too thick and is the reason why it snapped. It's exactly at the tip of that plate that the rip started. If that plate would have been thinner it could flexed better with the boom.
        They may not want that plate to flex to keep the welds fron cracking by the pin.

Thanks for the pictures daniel, I used to love doing that kind of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
          They may not want that plate to flex to keep the welds fron cracking by the pin.

Thanks for the pictures daniel, I used to love doing that kind of work.
          Glad you to show. I love it all too, new and old or bent out of shape.
          I'll have more of it on tuesday evening after work I should have some fishplating done as well.

Comment

Glad you to show. I love it all too, new and old or bent out of shape.
            I'll have more of it on tuesday evening after work I should have some fishplating done as well.
            Ive got a nice trencher project comming up. Alot of cracked welds and wore parts.

Comment

My Job

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
              Looks like a nice project you can make a few $$$$ off of. I can't believe how some people treat equipment. Thanks for the pics.
              My job is to break it so that we have an excuse for having a welder on the payroll...

I'd fire my operator for being hard on my loader digging out those trees the other day ...but i am him

And i need to can my welder for taking too long to weld the hooks on the bucket ....but i am him

The only one that got anything done was the mechanic he only took 10 min to install the new seat.... dam that's me too

Comment

You should probably quit your job because your boss doesn't pay you enough ...but wait you're him

Comment

You should probably quit your job because your boss doesn't pay you enough ...but wait you're him
                  Im in the same boat.

Comment

Sometimes I wish I'd be him though

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                      Daniel, If I were you I would put some plates om the inside of the boom extending at least 8" eather side of the crack, I would then take torch cut a groove length wise or parallel to the boom and plug weld the plate.

Note, Theres more pressure being applied to the top and bottom of the boom so thats where you want your fish plates.

I would use ( 4 ) 1" x 4" flat bar extending 8" - 12" past the crack with a 3/4" groove cut length wise so you can plug weld it.

2 plates welded to the top corners and 2 plates welded to the bottom corners.

I would then install the backers as you've done between the flat bars that run the length of the boom.

I know its more common to see the heavy fish plates on the sides of the boom, butt you actualy get more strength when putting fish plates on the top and bottom flange of the boom.
                      Other than where you splice the new section of boom in, Try to minimize welding across the boom.

Good luck.
                      Are you saying that fish plates on top and bottom only are stronger than on the sides?

Comment

This is the boom from a loader that the cylinder got changed for a more powerfull one so it can handle a bigger grab arms system. The guy pick up a big load of trees and dragged them and snap.
                        Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?

Comment

Originally posted by 4sfed View Post
                          Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?
                          Thats what I was thinking, it need the original cylinder or the arm is going to need to be beefed up.

Comment

fish paltes top and bottom...

wow! that looks like a fun project.

i'm absolutely no expert but it seems to me too like the fish plates on top and bottom would make a stronger repair...looks like they would keep the seams from "stretching" apart when the cylinder applies the force.

i look forward to seeing more pictures!

sometimes i wish i could quit my "real job" and do that kind of stuff, but i kind of like the climate controlled environment of the hospital!

Comment

After talking about it for a bit with the owner, every joint made on the boom has a backing strip, every joint are welded right thru with a full penetration all the way in the backing. It will make everything sound solid.
                              So all this done will make the almost as strong as it was when it was new.
                              Then after I going to put a fishplate on the top and it will go cover both joint, I will put a fishplate on both side of the boom, these ones will extend pass both joints about 12 inches with a bunch of plug welds on them.
                              These will make the boom stronger then new.
                              I'll post some picks tomorrow after work, today it was going around with the root passes and adding backing on the edges where the top and bottom plates extend pass the side plate,
                              Still have more passes to go before fishplating

Comment

Eric Carroll, The answer is yes.

Strengthening the top and bottom flange of the boom is stronger than reinforcing the sides, unless your trying to reinforce the boom to increase its capacity on a side swing.

Its not that fish plating the sides would'nt offer any added strength because it would.

But Lb. for Lb. you get more strength for the same amount of material used when adding it to the top and bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.