Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

please show me your shop.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please show me your shop.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been self employed as a welder for over 15 yrs. I have built projects in a field and borrowed and rented friends shops. I now am almost finished building my own shop. 50 x 80 x 14 with 3 phase.

I am wanting to see your shop so I can see how and where you place tools and keep it organized. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached is a pic of my shop almost finished, and some boat docks I have built and one with stairs.
    Attached Files

May not do you much good since mine is not one big space...

Comment

Wow, Nice shop, and huge !!!!!! I wont even post pics of my little shop as you could fit 10 of them in yours....

Nice dock work also.

Comment

50x80 sounds like a fortune to heat. I'd love that much space, but I don't know that I could stomach the utility bills.

Comment

Hey, Waterski,
          ..........WOW..........
          sorry, no pic of my "shop" (since I don't have one). Just gloating over yours, and hoping to see more pics soon.
          Welcome to the forum

Comment

Nice start on your new shop.

Your dock projects appears to be very high end work.

You may get some ideas here:

http://www.garageforums.com/forums/

Have a Nice Day.

Comment

another project of mine

This is another project I built. Bleachers for a school gym
              Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice project. Lots of hours.

Comment

Lots of factors involved in setting equipment. Everyones needs are different and dimension and door locations are something you are kind of stuck with once it happens. A big factor is where the power comes in and I remember thinking I had some definite plans, don't be scared to change things, I still move something if it works better. I don't have any benches along walls, thats where equipment goes, I like as much floor space as open as it can be.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sberry; 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Man, I would love to have a big place like that ....
                    you can see my little place here ... 4 cams ... one covers the work area, one the front door, one the Bunker interior, and the 4th the outside of my shop area. It is here http://jimyo.psend.com/cam2.html

if you want to see the "lounge in my shop, then go here ... http://jimyo.psend.com/bunker.html

Of course, I just do little stuff but more space would be nice..

Jim

Comment

Like to water ski,

My shop is 38 wide x 40' deep with a 16' ceiling.

I built 2 overhead cranes with hand pull bridges, I suffered for years without cranes.

I used to think having cranes could only be a pipe dream but building them wasnt all that expensive.
                      They are 2 ton each and the cost not including the footings was about
                      $ 16,000

As far as the shop goes scale your shop on a large poster board, cut all your tables, welder, steel racks and trucks out of more paper to the same scale.

You can then arrange them around your shop.

I also put pallet racking down each side of the shop and was able to weld the top of the outside leg to my runway beams letting me remove the lower portion of the outside leg. This gave me alot of storage.

Good luck, Your building a good size building.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                        Like to water ski,

My shop is 38 wide x 40' deep with a 16' ceiling.

I built 2 overhead cranes with hand pull bridges, I suffered for years without cranes.

I used to think having cranes could only be a pipe dream but building them wasnt all that expensive.
                        They are 2 ton each and the cost not including the footings was about
                        $ 16,000

As far as the shop goes scale your shop on a large poster board, cut all your tables, welder, steel racks and trucks out of more paper to the same scale.

You can then arrange them around your shop.

I also put pallet racking down each side of the shop and was able to weld the top of the outside leg to my runway beams letting me remove the lower portion of the outside leg. This gave me alot of storage.

Good luck, Your building a good size building.
                        So you spent all yer bucks on tools and never got a camera

Comment

Let me try getting some pictures, My kids have my shop computer messed up so this might not work.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm in the same situation as you ski, I moved into my shop a year ago march and I'm still trying to figure out what works best. It's very much a personal preferance thing as I've been looking at everyones shop trying to find something I like. So far I've probably moved things around 4 times.

Comment

I remember a bud coming in one time and says, "move that damm drill press" Finally occurred to me it wasn't cemented in and didn't have to be there. I have it all on wheels or movable with pallet jack, almost anything could be changed at any time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.