Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

True back yard project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True back yard project

I can't stand all those TV shows that say,"Today we're going to show you how to make the car of you dreams in your back yard" and then do it in a beautiful shop(i know they need the lights and everything but I'm on a rant here).

Now I know that my car isn't real cool right now but I've got high hopes.
    I took some pics of my "backyard shop" and invite anyone to post pics of theirs.

The car is a '79 Malibu Classic that i am putting air bags in the suspension for a start then go from there.

Comments, ideas welcome.
    Thanks
    Attached Files

My friend had a 80 malibu classic. He repainted it white and pulled the engine, rebuilt it with high performance stuff. It was a sweet car, and quick as well. He didn't replace the suspension or anything though. Does your car have a 305 or a 350 engine? I have a volvo p1800 and i'm gonna replace the interior. Maybe you wanna do that??? Just some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cargoon View Post
      Comments, ideas welcome.
      Thanks
      Its not clear from the photos, but how well is that thing jacked up? Jack stands are dang cheap insurance, but you will need decent cribbing on that ground to support the jacks.

Hate to see you with an injury! Safety first. --zip

Comment

You are the TRUE SHADE TREE MECHANIC!!

Good luck with completing the project!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
          You are the TRUE SHADE TREE MECHANIC!!

Good luck with completing the project!
          And TARP Mechanic too!

Comment

My shop, or shops.. to parts

these are pics of my shop... the thing under the blue tarp is my stick welder.. when in use the tarp becomes the roof....... my shop is a 2 section shop the first is the 8x16 back patio.. the secound is my shop storage slash natural shade. This is used if i am grinding or using another tool that i can run a 110 extention cord out there. Trying to save money to get a addioton added. A 16x16 shop with a 8foot overhang for the trailer.
            Attached Files

Comment

here are the other pics
              Attached Files

Comment

I will agree it is definitely a classic.

Comment

My car was jacked up with a little 2 ton bottle jack I found and is sitting on 2' chucks of yellow cedar railway ties. Sounds scary but it is actually very sound. I just had a little girl (wife did most of the work) so I have another reason to NOT flatten my head but thanks for the concern, safety should be first.

Zip. I like your shop, lots of square footage for those big projects and the same fire suppression system I've got (hose) .

The thing that gets me is a half hour welding gig takes 1 hour with set up, tear down and clean up. Where I am I can't leave anything out that will fit in a shopping cart behind a bike.

Maybe it builds character.

Any security systems out there (homemade of course)?

Comment

what about shocks????

Comment

Originally posted by df5152 View Post
                      what about shocks????

Yeah, he could leave an extension cord with cracks in the insulation and wet the ground down every night.

That would be good for shocks.

Comment

Security system
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just finished front suspension

Just finished front suspension and it works good.

Nothing broke, nothing bent = Success

Now onto the rear.

No shocks yet but i still got welding to do and i am sure there will be more rain.

Security system is not needed yet (it still lookd like sh*t) but thanks.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Welding View Post
                            Security system
                            Now that's my kind of security system!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.