Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racking for New Workshop

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racking for New Workshop

Any new workshop or store needs racking or shelving to store stuff.
    In fact without it you will find it hard to walk around your new play area within a few months.
    Besides it gives you a new project to work on away from your ball and chain. She who must be obeyed will love the idea of more store space and less junk every where.

So on Thursday a load of steel box section turned up all shiny and new ready for the first day of Easter.

Ji
    Attached Files

First things first we set up the drop saw and start cutting to a precise plan. Remember measure twice cut once.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jigantor; 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

We decided to drill and screw this racking so it could be adjusted height wise later if required.
      Looks great and is not buckled due to welding.
      Welding certainly would have taken less time to assemble but them there is clean up and painting the haz.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the key to the drilling.
        Drill a hole that is larger than the head of the screw in the secondary face. This allows for a better connection.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

Great, nothing beats plenty of storage space.

Comment

It looks clean but I would have issues with the screws holding the tubing and how much weight would be placed on the rack / shelving.

I tend to go overboard since I have a lot of heavy items and never know what I will put up since I constantly move things around.

My concerns would be the single shear of the metal tubing and depending on the size of the screws, would be the limiting factor to what you are able to load.

What size is the tubes and what are the dimensions of the overall racking?

Still, please don't get me wrong! It's very nice and clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
              My concerns would be the single shear of the metal tubing and depending on the size of the screws, would be the limiting factor to what you are able to load.
              If it ends up being an issue, could always install a series of corbels starting at the ground level.

Last edited by Sonora Iron; 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Nice rack, this wouldn't sound right if you'de be a woman
                You might need another leg in the middle, this 1 x 2 x.100 gets bowy on a long span. Nice job on the drilling.

Comment

Hi Sberry,
                  You are so right.
                  Most blokes just put every thing on the floor when all their floor space is filled then they just keep placing more stuff on top of the other junk until the angle of repose is right. In the end with this system all one has is narrow walkways and not a clue where anything is.

Ji

Comment

Hi Kamilaze,
                    I restore old MX bikes and thus their spare parts is what will be stored on these racks. I have allready made these rackes up before and they handle the weight great. The max weight that each shelf will take is 150kgs (each screw only takes 18kgs or 0.176kn). We test loaded each shelf yesterday and they work fine. This is not pallet racking. The bike parts are cleaned, marked and placed into rolling clear plastic boxes. This way it is easy to find every part as required. If you are going to store car engines this system will not work.

The tube is 50mm x 25mm x 1.6 450 grade.
                    The racking is 1500mm high x 2400mm long x 600 deep.
                    When test loaded the deflection is only 8mm which is span/300 which is fine.

Ji

Comment

Hi Sonora,
                      Yes the corbels would be a great idea if I was going to load these racks right up. I could also use m12 bolts and install more posts.
                      Great add mate, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Ji

Comment

Hi Daniel,
                        It is a nice rack.

Ji

Comment

I need to light my storage building up and take some pics. Last fall I added 1200 sq ft of heavy shelving, pallet rack strong using mobile home beams, Was like getting huge addition for minimal cost. I do have a couple tire rack pics which was in addition to the shelves.
                          Only pic I have is from an earlier one called "shelf" below, I built 11 more like it but heavier.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I am going to add a 200 sq ft mezzanine + shelves to my shop yet over the steel rack for misc stuff. I have a dorm house about 200 ft from the shop that I put all the stuff too good to toss but that I dont want in the shop, I use a lot of it but its out of the way for the most part.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                              If it ends up being an issue, could always install a series of corbels starting at the ground level.

or just weld it, I'm just saying

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.