Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Square Bar Bender

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Square Bar Bender

First find two pipes or round bars that are the same diameter.
    Firmly hold them in a vise.

Ji
    Attached Files

Place the square bar between the two cylinders in a direction you wish to push.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

With this 5mm square aluminium bar place your hands close to the forming tube and push the bar around it to form the curve you require.

Ji
      Attached Files

Comment

And in just a few minutes using only a vise and some scrap pipe you have a 180 deg bent bar.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

your bender

I like it. Simple, effective, and adjustable! And not expensive either! I like it.

Comment

Hi Strube,
            I am pleased you like it.

Ji

Comment

Where do you add the hydraulic oil?
              All kidding aside, this reminds me of a poorboy brake I used on one job. Two pieces of 2" flat stock a little longer than my workpiece was wide. Clamp said workpiece between them with lots of c-clamps. Start bend along edge of flat stock with a hand seamer and finish with a hammer. I earned my money on that job!

Comment

Hi Davinici,
                I am with you mate.
                This system is not going to fold half inch steel nor does one have to spend 40hours on the mill and lathe to make it.
                Remember most of these jobs were done by hand with simple tools only twenty years ago.
                If there is some one out there that wants to get into scroll work but does not have the cash to buy a bender or know how to do it this is a cheap and very interesting place to start.

The two tubes cost about $5.00 and the alloy square cost about $2.00 coupled with a vise and you can start scrolling.
                Give it a go if you don't like it it has not cost much to try it if you do like it your passion will dictate your path.

Ji

Comment

Get a couple pieces of different sized pipe and weld them to a piece of angle iron with a Stop- like your 2nd piece of Pipe- and you have a set of bending jigs.

Drop the Angle in the vise.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Broc,
                    Good one mate.
                    I guess you have to make different ones for different diameters of bend.

Ji

Comment

Ji,

yeah- whatever is needed- in the pic you can see the end is a tighter scroll/bend so I used a jig like yours- 'ceptin I welded 2 small pieces of Pipe on to a piece of angle and worked the scroll shape in it.

Needed a gradual bend so I experimented with the 4" Pipe.

The Mrs. made this little Firepit and the scrolled feet were bent this way.

Comment

Great work Ed.
                        I just love scroll work and I am amazed at how few people do it.
                        It can be so simple.

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
                          Great work Ed.
                          I just love scroll work and I am amazed at how few people do it.
                          It can be so simple.

Ji
                          The Mrs. made it

Comment

Well we want to read her posts as well as yours.
                            Great work just the same.

Ji

Comment

I use the same idea as Broc - but I have the stop on one piece of angle, and then 1", 2", 3" .... pipes on their own angles. I pick the right size pipe, place it in the vise with the stop piece, angles back to back, and adjust the stop gap between for the material I'm bending. Universal bending system from a few feet of angle and some pipe offcuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.