Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could learn any type of welding.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerometalworker
    started a topic If you could learn any type of welding.....

If you could learn any type of welding.....

Interesting thought, what type of welding do you currently want to learn how to do for practical reasons? Any particular applications? And why? I asked a number of students this, and the answers were typically either A) I want to fix XXX or B) I saw it on TV and it looked cool. So whats YOUR story?

• davinci2010
    replied
    I'd sure like to learn some of the exotics like titanium and inconel. Not really practical for my uses but that's probably why i haven't pursued them yet.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    dave thanks i'll check it out.. the only thing with the mig is that it hasn't been proven strong enough for high pressure applications that i know of. we've done some bend tests, at the apprentice school, stick/tig vs. mig and the migs didn't hold up as well. i'd use it for every thing but power piping.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    RMD & Pro-Pulse

Damage: Miller did a feature article about Bel-Aire mechanical here in Phoenix when they switched from stick and conventional MIG over to RMD and Pro-Pulse. Increased production, less "down time," and higher quality welds.

Naturally, the crew is UA Local 469 Phoenix

I'm sure the article is still on the web-site under Industries & Interests, if not you can Google Bel-Aire Mechanical, Phoenix if you'd like to read it.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-24-2010, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.
    yeah, its nice if your doing a lot production. I like the fact that a weldor can insert a standard camera memory card and save up to 8 different settings for the 3 processes it will run. and then walk away. and no matter when they get back to the machine, just insert the card and boom back to where you were. we were doing a ton of prefab for a large chiller project and we had most of the guys outside, stick welding eveything and two guys inside using the pipeworx and migging every thing. once the guys inside got it down it was a super time saver.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Pipe Worx

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
    For me it would be to get better @ Stick, then Tig and then Orbital. those ore the two most popular processes in the pipefitting industry, and i would love to have those 2 certifications to make me more attractive to the employers in the local. even though our Open root stick certification tests are written to ASME B31.1 specs, most power piping jobs spec tig roots for cleanliness. unfortuately orbital welding is the wave of the future for us. Chip plants, and bio-pharmaceutical plants are all looking for/requiring the high purity of orbital welding.

Dave- the pipeworks system is AMAZING. I haven't had a chance to use it, but the last shop i was with bought 2 and I got to seem them in action.
    Very impressive. its an all in one system that is just built for fab shop production.
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    I am in a real oxy-acetylene renaissance. In the last year, I finally figured out that there's almost nothing you can't do with OA. And there are a lot of times when it's really the best option... like when you're fixing something you can't get a vehicle within 100 feet of... or where electrical welding would be unduly hazardous.

OA is by far my favorite method now. And therefore I'd like to master all of its capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• Stillwelding
    replied
    New welding skill

Gas welding Aluminum and Atomic Hydrogen Welding (just so I know how)
    Last edited by Stillwelding; 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aerometalworker
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip View Post
    I had always heard the phrase is you want to become better at what you do, teach it. So after welding for close to forty years I became a teacher and today I not only have become a better welder. I also have access to some of Miller high tech equipment, Dynasty XMT's and 350P's. So I have the opportunity to play with the equipment and get better acquainted with changing of sine waves, frequency changes and pulsing. I also gives me the gratification of helping others become better at the game of Welding. Skip
    Skip, I know exactly what you mean, even though teaching is my hobby . Nothing gives me a greater thrill, than passing along information that lets someone fulfil a dream. Oh and If I had one process I wanted to learn ( better ) it would be atomic hydrogen welding. I see so much more than the run of the mill tig, mig and stick, and so many methods that have their strong points. Keep it going guys

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Do you want to become a better Welder?

I had always heard the phrase is you want to become better at what you do, teach it. So after welding for close to forty years I became a teacher and today I not only have become a better welder. I also have access to some of Miller high tech equipment, Dynasty XMT's and 350P's. So I have the opportunity to play with the equipment and get better acquainted with changing of sine waves, frequency changes and pulsing. I also gives me the gratification of helping others become better at the game of Welding. Skip

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Portable Welder
    I believe that speaks to what I was saying... if we were to have a better understanding of all these functions we would be able to do a lot more... I know.. it is my perrenial squawk... BUT Bet they would sell a lot more of these high end machines if there was a good handbook... I am learning slow but sure by watching others and listening to tips ... and just plain playing with them..
    thanks
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    H 80 N, I've done some experimenting with the pulse Tig on stainless and aluminum and find my self turning it off after a while.

Being able to change my frequincy on the other hand is something that I do use.
    Being able to pin point the arc when I'm welding down into a corner has been helpful when doing aluminum work.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    For me it would be to get better @ Stick, then Tig and then Orbital. those ore the two most popular processes in the pipefitting industry, and i would love to have those 2 certifications to make me more attractive to the employers in the local. even though our Open root stick certification tests are written to ASME B31.1 specs, most power piping jobs spec tig roots for cleanliness. unfortuately orbital welding is the wave of the future for us. Chip plants, and bio-pharmaceutical plants are all looking for/requiring the high purity of orbital welding.

Dave- the pipeworks system is AMAZING. I haven't had a chance to use it, but the last shop i was with bought 2 and I got to seem them in action.
    Very impressive. its an all in one system that is just built for fab shop production.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Pulsed MIG

Pulsed MIG would be interesting to learn. My MM-212 is your pretty basic MIG machine, though I have no complaints about it's short arc abilities.

Miller's PipeWorx Welding System with their RMD and Pro-Pulse Feature would be fun to try as well.

To echo H80N, there are many advances in MIG and TIG these days, it's hard to break "traditional" methods. I guess it's always easier just to grab a stinger
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied
    Hi
    After a minute or two thinking about it I come up with
    three sort of inter-woven answers

- first just get better at what I already can do (I know,
    practice, practice, practice :-)
    - be able to do do thin/small stuff (more practice, I know)
    - TIG (or O/A)

The reasons (at least for the TIG) are that
    any welding I do is for fun, projects around the house, and
    so on -- and there's a lot of light-weight stuff and non-iron
    stuff in that category. It would seem to me that TIG or O/A
    would give me some good abilities for dealing with small
    things and thin stuff, as well as non-iron things because
    they separate the heat source from the filler metal.

Frank

Leave a comment:

Working...
X