Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete

I know that this is not a welding project, but I would just like to show you what I have been working on! I started a business making pre-cast concrete countertops. Here are a few pictures of finished products!
    Attached Files

Hey those are nice looking...Bob

Comment

looks good,,, i watched a dirty jobs episode where they did the very same thing, you might want to goggle that show, if you haven't watched it already.

Comment

Here's Some I did in my home a few years ago:

Comment

those look real good, whats the price range something like though? what woul u charge for the counter tops in the second picture?

Comment

They look great! How did you learn the process? Is it difficult? I was thinking of doing a concrete counter top for my bbq island.

Comment

Originally posted by accardmi View Post
              They look great! How did you learn the process? Is it difficult? I was thinking of doing a concrete counter top for my bbq island.
              I bought their book: http://www.concreteexchange.com/

Comment

Cci

I went to The Concrete Countertop Institute in North Carolina. It is an awesome class that will teach you everything from the structural engineering of countertops, to concrete mix formulas, forming, grinding, finishing ecc… after taking the class you will be able to make a superior countertop surface.
                here is a link to check out http://www.concretecountertopinstitute.com/

Comment

Concrete and welded Steel bench

here is a bench i made this week!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Grill Surround

one more project! outdoor grill surround to match bar-top and bench!
                    Attached Files

Comment

thank you!

Originally posted by Xenon467 View Post
                      those look real good, whats the price range something like though? what woul u charge for the counter tops in the second picture?
                      Thank you! Our base price is $75.00 sq/ft

Comment

I was thinking it would be cool to make a concrete surface to mount my 8x24 table-top lathe. I figure that would clobber any chance of vibration. Ah yes, another project.

Comment

Another Project

This is my kitchen countertop. Industrial Grey, with Under-Mount Sink, and Integrated Drain Board. Also note Stainless Steel Backsplash made from scrap i picked up from the recycling center and treated with a 3M pad.
                          Attached Files

Comment

"Counter-Point"

Jesse: Those all look really nice. How much does that kitchen counter weigh? Do you use 3/8" rock and mix the color in the batch? 2500# mix?
                            As the counter top will be subject to water, do you add entrained air in your mix?

The outdoor types are very popular out here in Phoenix.

Again, looks great, like a granite top!

Comment

Info

At this point we are using CSA (calcium sulfoaluminate) Cement with a water to cement ratio of 0.35. This gives us compression strength of 10,000psi. As for aggregate it is all the Clients choice. We usually use a standard pea-gravel mix (many sizes of stone) because this will produce a denser mix. Small Stones fit between large stones. But we can also replace the stone with Colored Glass pieces as seen in the desktop picture. Or subtract it all together (use a sand mix) to get the desired look that we are going for. Color is added in the mix using natural or synthetic pigments. It is colored all the way through!. This means you will never have to worry about the finish rubbing of, as with staining. There is also Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete where you use structural rated glass fibers in place of the stone. This will also produce a stronger lighter mix. NO entrained air! In fact we use plasticizers and other methods to get a “fluid mix” to reduce air pockets, and improve workability. All Countertops are sealed with a onetime epoxy urethane sealer that is impenetrable to water and most staining agents.

Standard for weight is about 18lbs a sq. ft. at 1.5 inches thick.

Concrete is not for everyone, bit is is another choice that is out there! It is highly creative and you can personalize it for a client. And because it is hand crafted from scratch is is somewhat costly. I

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.