Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Introduction!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dig - Also called Arc Control. Gives a power source variable additional amperage during low voltage (short arc length) conditions while welding. Helps avoid “sticking” Stick electrodes when a short arc length is used.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-skills/stick/

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! I didin't get marked off on my tee joint today so that was frustruating but I did try out the J and U patterns and my stringer beads looked really flat and alot better than before with the J, but I coulden't make it work for a tee. Dave thanks for the input! I checked on the brand of rod and it's Hyuandai? 1/8 E6010 and I always find myself running over 90 but not over 100 amps on the dialarc 250 so that's good I got that right. I always run a stringer or two and set my amps when I first start up. I believe I was welding 1/4" plate today. The problem was I started having moderate sucess at the bottom of the joint and about halfway up my arc would burn atlittle uneven and the puddle would move and that messed up my rythim. I tried moving my ground around but it kept doing it. So I think wensday i'm going to switch booths and try a different machine. I know i'll get it with practice, I just need to find a weave that's comfortable and works for me. I'm going to try the u some more and the T on wensday and see how it goes. That's what happened with my Horizontial, I was have a horrible time with trying the whip and getting undercut and not filling enough. Then I tried the circles and Walla! I knocked out my tee joint, lap, and corner in one day and got ahead of everyone else lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno!;230156 [B
        The problem was I started having moderate sucess at the bottom of the joint and about halfway up my arc would burn atlittle uneven and the puddle would move and that messed up my rythim.[/B]
        almost sounds like your rod angle got a little messed up or your arc length. or both

Comment

If you have access to a Bernard Short-Stub or a Tweco-Tite stinger, the head angle is designed for the optimum rod angle when doing vertical ups.

It will help with your learning curve.

They are very easy to use with your thumb and index finger on the head for rod manipulation.
          Last edited by davedarragh; 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Dave are you talking about the twist lock style stingers vs the aligator clamp?

Comment

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
              Dave are you talking about the twist lock style stingers vs the aligator clamp?
              I think he’s talking about one like this.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                I think he’s talking about one like this.
                yup thats what i was thinking of! thanks sonora

Comment

I think its about time i introduce myself as well. Hello, im Kayla! Im 17 living in Las Vegas, NV. I attend Southeast Career Tech Academy (a high school) for welding, earning 13 college credits for welding in the process :]. I learn all the basics i guess you could say, and i hope to make this a career when i graduate and finish college. Im always open for ideas and advice. Thankss :]

Comment

Hi Kayla Yea I concur on the bad rod angle I had 2 of my teachers tell me the same thing, so hopefully tomorrow will be the day lol Also passed my Tee and Lap joints in my tig class tonight so that was sweet!

Comment

"Short-Stub"

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
                      yup thats what i was thinking of! thanks sonora
                      Yeah, I like the TWECO version a little better than the Bernard, even though they're basically the same. The head is a little "heftier" on the TWECO, and the spring/lock nut style is a little different.

Plus you can bend the rod anyway you want when doing flat work, etc.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        I don’t.

I personally don’t think the Dig has anything to do with temp / amps. It’s hard for me to explain! (You’ll have to see it to understand).
                        The Dig controls the flow of the puddle, higher % = stiffer / non-flowing puddle. Lower the % = wetter / flowing puddle. I run my roots with 100 % Dig. Hot and cap around 95 % Dig, (that is when I remember to change it).

Daniel you run a little hotter than I do, most likely because I’m old and slow, and my reaction time is considerable slower than it use to be!
                        Dig is an inductance control.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.