X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayla
    started a topic Project ideas?

Project ideas?

Im a highschool student taking welding, and we can make projects, but i cant ever think of anything to make :/
    Any ideas?

• cat
    replied
    Can you ask local welders/welding shops/metal suppliers if they would be willing to donate scrap metal to your school? I always have leftover pieces which I hang onto waiting until I have an idea where I can use them-but always more stuff than I can use. They may only be small pieces but you can practice welding and bending and cutting on them. Or go to a scrap metal recycle place and ask if they would donate some metal. Maybe ask on Craig's list? Or, have the class make some items and rent a booth and sell at a craft fair to make money for supplies. I make a lot of small items with scrap metal and sell for $6-$20. In today's economy, it makes sense and those small sales do add up. Kayla-private message me if you'd like me to send you small project ideas. cat

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    Originally posted by FabTech View Post
    Wow that didn't last long. What happened to school?
    We ran out of argon so we had to put the tigging on hold for a little while, my school has a very limited budget. Most of the things we get end up being paid for out of my teachers pocket cause the school cant fund it. Our budget for next year was supposed to be 19000 but the school can only give us 5000. So were pretty under budget :/

Leave a comment:

• FabTech
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayla View Post
    I have welding for 2 periods a day, 5 days a week, i can take as many days as i need to complete a project, my teacher wants us to make cool things that take more than one day. We started learning TIG today, i actually did really good, specially for my first time, it almost looks like i did the weld with the wirefeed. So im gunna try and work on TIG and get better than work on projects using TIG.
    But thanks for the ideas, i have all this year and next to make what ever it is i want. :]]
    Keep the ideas comming guys.

Wow that didn't last long. What happened to school?

Leave a comment:

• rezsst
    replied
    cart for lcd

i made a cart 4 my lcd tv and a couple of carts for inside the house, very handy. harbor freight is a good place for casters

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    when we get more money for all the steal and gas and stuff i think im gunna try making like a dunebuggy or a sandrail or something. i think that would be a fun project, prolly take a while, but why not eeh?

Leave a comment:

• Cargoon
    replied
    Make something you want but can't afford, like a go kart or trailer or shop tool like press.
    That's my two cents
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    thanks crazy horse!
    our budget is running too low to do projects right now, so im on hold for a while :/
    were broke so no more metal, gas, or anything.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyHorse!
    replied
    Here is a t-post puller

Originally posted by Kayla View Post
    Im a highschool student taking welding, and we can make projects, but i cant ever think of anything to make :/
    Any ideas?
    Hello Kayla Welcome to the site
    Here is a project that might be useful to make in welding class for a grade or what not, simple and easy to build and who knows it might even be a useful tool for someone you know.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=T-post+puller

Let me know if you would like more info on material and measurements

CH!

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    This is how it starts.

Then one day you walk through the door and Chris Hansen is sitting there!

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    It is amazing how we lose our creative side as we get older- even Young older like you

Give a child a Crayon and a Piece of paper- zero hesitation, instantly coloring, scribbling etc. and if yer not watching, coloring all over the d.a.m.n house

Give an adult a pencil and piece of paper..... instant Mental Block.

Procrastination- that's because yer afraid to Color

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    Thanks spyguy :] those seem pretty cool, ill have to try the flower one out for sure, my step mom loves that kind of stuff for her back yard. Im actually making a sun for her back yard right now, i just started with the blue prints. After that ill be sure to make a few of those.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Attatch a long cable to each end with handles on each end .......throw one end over a high branch to make a manual saw.

Leave a comment:

• stugots
    replied
    i have a new 16in chainsaw chain, it doesn't fit my saw and i cant return it,,, any ideas into making that into something useful? lol

Leave a comment:

• SpyGuy
    replied
    Here's a few ideas that I do, mostly out of recycled metal:

-Get a section of chain, like a dog leash, and make a snake. For a "rattlesnake", use a bolt with loose nuts on the tail, and another welded to the top to keep them on. the tongue can be made from a fondue fork, and the head a serving spoon. I like using the dog leashes because the links are twisted, and give the snake more of a sinuous shape.

-Centipede: Use a bicycle chain, and weld bent nails to every other link (well, you want the centipede to bend, right?) Two more nails for antenna

-Ants: bolt for the body, six bent nails for the legs, two antenna. I also like putting a couple of nuts to either side for eyes.

-Spider: weld three large nuts in a row (if you can do bigger to smaller, even better!) Make legs out of nails - weld together at 90* - and then weld to the body of the spider. Don't make them all touch the ground, make it look like your spider is walking!

-Flowers can be plasma-cut from sheet metal, and then bent to shape. Tip: going to make a rose? Use barbed wire for the stem!

-Got a bucket of bolts? Make a skeletal hand, "Terminator" style. Weld the heads of four bolts together to form the "bones" on the back of the hand, then work on the "fingers." The "wrist" can be several rows of nuts welded together to the heads of the bolts. You can even make a stand to display this afterwards - I used a bicycle kickstand and a star lugnut wrench.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X