Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project ideas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project ideas?

Im a highschool student taking welding, and we can make projects, but i cant ever think of anything to make :/
    Any ideas?

Look here at a few of my things...Bob

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...umid=24&page=2

Comment

A good roller cabinet for your tools. It will last a lifetime.

Comment

look around in
        http://www.millerwelds.com/interests/projects/

Comment

Don't try that Portable Welding Table. The plans are poor

Comment

Originally posted by FabTech View Post
            Don't try that Portable Welding Table. The plans are poor
            Seems to me that poor plans make for an excellent learning
            exercise - what's wrong here? how do we fix it?.

Comment

If the plan were decent she be able to complete it in a week.
              I could be wrong but I donít think a High School student has the time to make corrections to poor illustrated drawings and complete a project in a timely fashion.
              Arenít classes about 45 min a day? They need projects theyíre able to finish in a short time for a grade.
              It would be a challenging project for home were you have the time to figure it out, bring it back to class and put it together for a final.
              I remember we made candle stands, things for mom, stuff she still has sitting around the house, the lathe project were fun.

There's a lot of projects in the Idea Gallery Have fun

Comment

The most interesting projects to fabricate are usually ones that are functional or serve some purpose. Think of something you need or could use to make a job easier. You could also try and find some scrap pieces of stainless and try welding different metals if you have access to the proper rod. Lots to learn.

Comment

I have welding for 2 periods a day, 5 days a week, i can take as many days as i need to complete a project, my teacher wants us to make cool things that take more than one day. We started learning TIG today, i actually did really good, specially for my first time, it almost looks like i did the weld with the wirefeed. So im gunna try and work on TIG and get better than work on projects using TIG.
                  But thanks for the ideas, i have all this year and next to make what ever it is i want. :]]
                  Keep the ideas comming guys.

Comment

Ditto that idea about functional....

It could be furniture for your room - the nice thing about steel is you can make things thinner, hidden supports etc.

On the artistic side, there are a couple of people that frequent here who have done some really nice stuff that would definitely qualify as art - even functional. Follow some of the sigs.

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                      Ditto that idea about functional....

It could be furniture for your room - the nice thing about steel is you can make things thinner, hidden supports etc.
                      One thing I made for my stepson along those lines was a stand-up
                      desk. He found a dining room table top that someone was tossing.
                      We cleaned up the top and cut a square/straight edge. The I fab'ed
                      a base for it -- simple, 4 legs, stretcher, and so on. We laid the table
                      top halves across the top, with the narrow edges abutting -- so that
                      the desk is something like 6' long and about 2' deep.
                      It looks really good.

It took maybe a weekend of work

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        Look here at a few of my things...Bob

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...umid=24&page=2
                        Thanks, my stepmom loves putting stuff up around our backyard and said i should make her some things, these gave me a few good ideas "]

Comment

Some very useful things are various brackets for hanging stuff in the garage/shop. A 3/16" rod about 8-10" long that sticks out from the wall makes a good universal hanger for things like paint brushes, scissors, etc. Ladder holders, vertical, horizontal and overhead are very handy. There is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to build the things you need, will make your life easier or more fun. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the forum,

Build yourself a bed frame.. not one of those simple plain Jane's but one of a grand design! something to make your friends envious especially whey you look them in the eye and say "I Built It Myself" you could put plasma cut designs into it or whatever else you can imagine..

Here is a link to a store near you go in check them out and come up with a Kayla-Kustom-Kut design:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=13hca5hi4

have fun with the project and document your progress with photo's for your project albums.

Take note of those prices..there is big bucks in custom built furniture!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Pass-N-Gas;229539]Welcome to the forum,

Build yourself a bed frame.. not one of those simple plain Jane's but one of a grand design! something to make your friends envious especially whey you look them in the eye and say "I Built It Myself" you could put plasma cut designs into it or whatever else you can imagine..

Ooh yeah, thats a cool idea, thanks. Ill have to try that :]

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.