Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM252 Takes on 1" Plate & Pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MM252 Takes on 1" Plate & Pipe

    Crank-it, pre-heat-it and spray it @ 90/10 gas mix. Got 3/4" penetration!

    TacMig
    Attached Files
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

    We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

    Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

  • #2
    Originally posted by tacmig View Post
    Crank-it, pre-heat-it and spray it @ 90/10 gas mix. Got 3/4" penetration!

    TacMig
    How do you know you got 3/4" penetration? I kinda find that hard to believe possible out of that machine.

    Comment


    • #3
      tacmig,

      Nice looking weld. Just curious how you determined you got 3/4" penetration.

      Assuming that you did get that penetration, was it really necessary, unless that's 3/4" wall pipe you're welding to the plate?
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

      Comment


      • #4
        How do I know..

        Originally posted by Engloid View Post
        How do you know you got 3/4" penetration? I kinda find that hard to believe possible out of that machine.
        I started with some 3/4" scrap. made one pass cold and just burned the bottom. Next pass was hot via: my O/A and spot burned the bottom about 80% and on second hot pass burned through!
        We depend On:
        Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
        Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
        Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
        Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
        Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
        Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

        We belong to or support:
        American National Standards Institute
        American Welding Society
        The Welding Institute
        Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

        Anderson & Co. LLC
        Metal Cr
        afters

        Comment


        • #5
          Better next time..

          Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
          tacmig,

          Nice looking weld. Just curious how you determined you got 3/4" penetration.

          Assuming that you did get that penetration, was it really necessary, unless that's 3/4" wall pipe you're welding to the plate?
          I should probably take more photos as I go, but usually don't think about it and the only reason I got photos of this is because I was surprised myself!. One of my guys took the 350 on a service call and got hung-up with extras. In any event, I had to build 4 gate posts out of 6" pipe @ 7/8" wall and 1" base plate (to be bolted to pre-poured form) and the next biggest thing I have is our new MM252. The weld would have been fine @ 1/2" but I was just ramping the 252 to see what she could do on 1". Also I ran a cold & hot test on scrap 3/4" and the hot run (Post O/A) dug in a ring at 3/4" on the 3/4" scrap. About as scientific as I get.
          We depend On:
          Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
          Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
          Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
          Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
          Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
          Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

          We belong to or support:
          American National Standards Institute
          American Welding Society
          The Welding Institute
          Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

          Anderson & Co. LLC
          Metal Cr
          afters

          Comment


          • #6
            how hot?

            how hot would you say you got the steel before you laid your beed to penetrate? are we talking glowing red.. or just screaming hot to the touch?

            Comment


            • #7
              Ahhhh?

              Originally posted by shott8283 View Post
              how hot would you say you got the steel before you laid your beed to penetrate? are we talking glowing red.. or just screaming hot to the touch?
              I heated both sides (plate) to about 3/4 screaming hot and the pipe at about 1/2 screaming hot. I wanted to go full screaming but I was afraid the neighbors might call the police. While we are the subject, do you have any idea what a metric sh!$ load weighs in LBS.? I think a U.S. Sh!$ load is equal to 3/4 of a ton. I know that Holy Sh!$ is weightless and Oh SH!$ is unmeasurable, but I can never figure out the metric thing.
              We depend On:
              Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
              Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
              Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
              Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
              Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
              Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

              We belong to or support:
              American National Standards Institute
              American Welding Society
              The Welding Institute
              Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

              Anderson & Co. LLC
              Metal Cr
              afters

              Comment


              • #8
                perforated poop.................

                well holly #$%# ..........................lol
                a metric ton contains 1000 kg. or 2204 lbs. a metric ton of perforated sh@t might weigh less. holly/religious sh@t ............................now thats heavy.
                Syncro250DX Tigrunner
                Victor set
                Elite auto-helmet
                Dewalt Bench grinder
                Mastercraft miter saw
                Mac air tools
                Mac hand tools
                Toothbrush
                pencil
                toilet paper

                Comment


                • #9
                  My Guess

                  Originally posted by tacmig View Post
                  I heated both sides (plate) to about 3/4 screaming hot and the pipe at about 1/2 screaming hot. I wanted to go full screaming but I was afraid the neighbors might call the police. While we are the subject, do you have any idea what a metric sh!$ load weighs in LBS.? I think a U.S. Sh!$ load is equal to 3/4 of a ton. I know that Holy Sh!$ is weightless and Oh SH!$ is unmeasurable, but I can never figure out the metric thing.
                  PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!eek:

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X