Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding chair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding chair

has anyone ever made a welding chair out of an automotive bucket seat ?
    i got the idea the other day, when, after welding for 10 hours and my back hurting, how much better i felt when i hopped in my truck for the ride home.
    seems like it would be real comfortable when setting for 10 hours a day.
    if anyone has made one, please post pics, because i think i am gonna make me one soon.
    thanks

well no. But I do know a guy that built a bar stool with an old tractor seat and put horse shoes at the bottom for foot stands

Comment

You have to wait till Rocky gets back, he had a welding chair.

Comment

Comfortable Welding chair

Try this chair

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0102606_PE247850_S3.JPG

Comment

Something I saw at a junkyard near my old house may interest you. The junkyard guys had taken a tire and rim, filled with cement, and attached a Cadillac spindle to it. On top of the post was one of the "captain's chairs" from either an RV or a van, and the footrest was a steering wheel. Because the seat was mounted on the spindle, it turned very easily. (Sorry, I don't have pictures - that particular junkyard is now 900 miles away from where I call home ... )

Comment

Originally posted by TerryL View Post
            That'll work LOL You'll be able to do kind of burning in that..SUNBURNING lol

Comment

how about an old office chair... they roll around, swivel, and recline. that's what i have in my shop when i don't feel like standing under the lift.

Comment

I don't know about welding, but a couple of things that make for decent chairs.

1) High back seats from the 70's (GM). Cars were made for long cruises while sitting on you @$$. The seats had to be reasonably comfortable. You don't want real buckets (unless you have problems falling out of chair). 4 pieces of angle iron for legs, a simple square frame. If you burn in the angle iron well, some 1x1x1/8 will hold just fine even at 3ft long. The little bit of flex in the legs will help it level on whatever floor you put it. If you want to put smooth feet on it, basically stand the chair up on some round pieces of plate and weld the legs to it.

2) Custom van seats - Neighbor picked up a "executive limousine" - basically a small bus - Ford 450 Diesel, which he converted to a camper. Inside were 12 high back, cloth seats. I took two and made a pair of bar stool style work seats. I made new seat tracks for them and left the tilt mechanism in place. I tacked the seat together to double check the weight distribution. Kinda nice to be able to lean back on a stool...

I have not welded while sitting in these seats. To afraid the sparks will kill them. Suppose that one day I could cover them in something flame resistant.

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                  I have not welded while sitting in these seats. To afraid the sparks will kill them. Suppose that one day I could cover them in something flame resistant.
                  Ive got some old leathers lying around if ya want

Comment

TerryL Comfortable Welding chair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Try this chair

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0102606_PE247850_S3.JPG

Is that for the overhead position

Comment

got a seat out of a 92-95 civic for 20 bucks.
                      i have started on it, but wont be finished for a few weeks. only time to work on it is after a 10 hour work day.
                      its gonna swivel and tilt back like a computer desk chair. i am currently using one of those, but i think the bucket seat will be way more comfortable. think about it, would you want to drive for hours every day setting in a desk chair ?
                      not me... i will post pics of my progress when i get it going.
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        You have to wait till Rocky gets back, he had a welding chair.
                        This one saved my butt many a time.

Comment

Sorry I don't have any pics. I used to weld in a fab shop and we had crappy chairs. We all talked to the man and he ok us to make a chair. We had a pallete full of chair parts. I made a chair that way better than my old one. Saved my butt for sure!

I gotta see what you make out of a truck seat. You should put a handle on the side so you can swing out the legs on break!

-Tre

Comment

been working on it a little each night when i can, when not working on my old truck, 1957 chevy.
                            got the frame made that will bolt to the bottom of the seat and have it hinged so i can rock back some, like any office chair, and got the swivel mounted also, (a cut down old caster wheel).
                            i still have to make the bottom with wheels, an adjustable vetical shaft and the adjustable arm rests.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.